Author Topic: Web shield false positives  (Read 3126 times)

Offline JC337

Web shield false positives
« on: July 17, 2020, 09:35:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

We currently have about 200 computers with Avast Antivirus Pro installed.

We are utilizing the Web Shield on every machine and over the past few months we are seeing increasing false positives with the URL scanning. I have been tasked with coming up with ideas  on how to reduce the amount of false positives we are seeing but I'm not coming up with anything other than recommending a new AV solution.

I have reached out to support various times and have been told there is no way to lower the sensitivity of the URL scanning without affecting the other aspects of the Web Shield.  I have lowered the heuristics scanning sensitivity to low on the Web Shield component just to test and still haven't noticed a difference. (We receive just as many false positives)

Has anybody else experienced increasing false positives or found a way to decrease them?

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Web shield false positives
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »
Hello,
you can report false positive here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php and if confirmed they will be fixed.

Milos

Offline JC337

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »
I have no issue reporting false positives it's just the frequency that I have to do it. When I report a false positive it's usually 1-2 day turn around and it gets fixed. With false positives increasing that doesn't really fly with managers, eventually they will want this feature turned off and i'll lose a layer of security for the network.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 07:41:50 AM »
Hello,
I am sorry for the troubles. Can you share the URLs which were false positives? We can investigate more deeply what causes the FPs and try to avoid blocking similar cases.

Milos