Author Topic: Slow-downs on AVG Free Edition  (Read 7583 times)

cheechchong_pt2

Slow-downs on AVG Free Edition
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:17:43 PM »
I installed that and it seems to be great especially for a free AV! But I have one problem, ever since installing it, my apps open up a bit slower and plus my download speeds got a good deal slower, I thought it was coincidence but after stopping AVAST on-access protection control everything gets back to normal.

I have WinXP Pro, 512mb RAM and 900Mhz. And a bandwidth of 30mb/2mb. I did a speed test on nyc.speakeasy.net without AVAST I get like 24,000-25,000x down but with it I see like 14,000-15,000x, huge difference! So what's up? Oh yea I also only have Standard, Web shields and P2P protection on. And I get rid of NAV completely, which was my previous AV app.

I really really want to keep this app but if it keeps slowing down I'll have to with big regret take it off  :-[
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 07:26:05 PM by cheechchong_pt2 »

ardvark

Re: Slow-downs on AVG Free Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »
Hi...

I think your subject line was put in backwards ;D

I found the exact same thing when I uninstalled Avast and went to another AV. I think it's mostly a matter of the amount and the manner of resource usage and scanning. The list of modules is more extensive with Avast and it always has (since I've known it beginning with 4.0-4.1) run a little heavy.

Short of (possibly) shutting some unused modules off, I don't see a remedy for this problem.  :(

cheechchong_pt2

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 07:50:06 PM »
Man this sux, I really hate to give up AVAST because of this crap! But besides that, when I do a full-scan, AVAST shows up with like 38 files from Ad-aware in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft that it can't scan those because the archives are password-protected and I did not password protect those, what if those got a virus how can I force AVAST to scan those?

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »
But besides that, when I do a full-scan, AVAST shows up with like 38 files from Ad-aware in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft that it can't scan those because the archives are password-protected

That's correct. It did the same when I had Avast installed. While I'm not an expert with virus behavior and modes of infection, I doubt that a virus will specifically target and attach itself to an archive, although I've seen viruses use archives of its own to avoid removal. However, I may be wrong about the former.

At any rate, I've never known or have seen any AV that can delete viruses within an archive. It will simply notify you that a virus is resident within it. The most it will do is simply delete the entire archive.

Best Regards...

cheechchong_pt2

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
[quote author=ardvark link=topic=22211.msg184552#msg184552 At any rate, I've never known or have seen any AV that can delete viruses within an archive. It will simply notify you that a virus is resident within it. The most it will do is simply delete the entire archive.

Best Regards...

That I know but those are archives weren't even scanned by AVAST and that way it couldn't detect anything at all.

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 08:17:42 PM »
Quote from: cheechchong_pt2
That I know but those are archives weren't even scanned by AVAST and that way it couldn't detect anything at all.

I know but I doubt Lavasoft will give us the password to those files :P ;)

Best Regards...

cheechchong_pt2

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:20:35 PM »
Thanks for your help so far, but back to those slow download speeds, why the hell I feel like I'm the only one with this!? :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:22:34 PM »
How did you get rid of AVG ?
There may be remnants that could impact/conflict with avast.

You didn't the AdAware program did !
Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »
@ cheechchong_pt2...

You weren't/aren't the only one, I can assure you. Plenty of other folks have noted this particular aspect of Avast.

@ DavidR...

I think cheechchong_pt2 just got the name mixed up, this probaby has nothing to do with a previous AV uninstall.  :)

Best Regards...

cheechchong_pt2

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 08:32:20 PM »
How did you get rid of AVG ?
There may be remnants that could impact/conflict with avast.

Well I had NAV got rid of it, through Add/Remove, checked the registry and deleted it's remaining files and the same for AVG when I tried out that one too. I doubt there is conflicts, since all I need is to stop AVAST on-access controls and everything is good again.

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
Hi cheechchong_pt2...

Unfortunately, both leave bits and pieces behind, particularly Norton. You may want to make sure it is completely removed in every way using the SymNRT that is downloadable here, provided the version was 2004 or later...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

As for AVG, I believe there is an uninstall option in the setup program (7.1) that will delete all remnants of it as well.

From what you've described, however, I don't think remnants of previous AV's was giving your copy of Avast any problems, so this probably will have no effect.

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:50:59 PM by ardvark »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 01:51:11 AM »
 :)  Hi :

When I had Norton, it took MORE than "uninstalling" all its
    "components" from Add/Remove Programs AND using the
    "SymNRT" Removal "Tool" to get it COMPLETELY OFF my
     computer; I did a "Search > All files and folders" and there
     were still numerous files and possibly folder(s) on my
     computer AND I ran a registry cleaner .

cheechchong_pt2

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 05:02:57 AM »
Well it seems that Webshield caused the probs. Cool feature but it got to go! Btw, is it used to detect if viruses are on a web page, if that's the case, then I'm only seeing half of Avast's benefits.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 05:24:41 AM »
Compared with your connection I admit I'm in the two coffee cans and a piece of string age over here on the left coast.

However my 6Mb Comcast connection a couple of minutes ago measured (by Speakeasy in SF) 6086 Kbps with the avast Webshield active and 6084 Kbps with it turned off .. ie practically no difference (and this is not the first time I have run the measurement).  The best I have measured in recent weeks with avast shut off completely was a little in excess of 6200Kbps.   

I cannot and do not dispute the difference you are experiencing, but I am compelled to believe by my own experience that avast cannot alone be responsible for the difference you are seeing.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:28:00 AM by alanrf »

cheechchong_pt2

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 05:33:54 AM »
Compared with your connection I admit I'm in the two coffee cans and a piece of string age over here on the left coast.

However my 6Mb Comcast connection a couple of minutes ago measured (by Speakeasy in SF) 6086 Kbps with the avast Webshield active and 6084 Kbps with it turned off .. ie practically no difference (and this is not the first time I have run the measurement).  The best I have measured in recent weeks with avast shut off completely was a little in excess of 6200Kbps.   

I cannot and do not dispute the difference you are experiencing, but I am compelled to believe by my own experience that avast cannot cannot alone be responsible for the difference you are seeing.

I feel like I'm the only one, but I'm seeing what I'm seeing!