Author Topic: Avast blocking software even when firewall disabled.  (Read 1256 times)

Offline aj19

Avast blocking software even when firewall disabled.
« on: September 25, 2018, 03:15:11 AM »
Hello,

I am having some trouble that just started somewhat recently.  Avast is blocking a program (backburner) from communicating across the local network.  The weird thing is I have set the settings to "ask" and tried "always allow" for all inbound and outbound ports on the program, but it doesn't work and I suspect it's not popping up the ask window for some part of the connection.  The program (backburner) worked with Avast a month or two ago (last I tried) and for the 3-4 years before that, but suddenly after doing an update it's now causing all kinds of issues.  The connection gets dropped or it's not allowing it to talk to the manager.  (Win 7, 64 bit both machines, Avast Internet Security, trusted "friendly" network.) 

If I uninstall Avast, it all works again.  But if I reinstall avast on the computer trying to connect, nothing I do can make it work.  I've tried disabling all shields for 1 hour, no dice.  Fully open all ports, nope.  5 bars?  Nada.   Remove the programs from the shield list and then add them manually?  As if.  All of those at once?  No effect.   I even tried the "Turn off Firewall" button.  Well, it doesn't fully disable the firewall that's for sure because even that didn't work and it was still somehow blocking things.  Seems like somethings wrong inside, especially since I haven't changed anything and then suddenly problems after updating.  The problem exists even with a freshly downloaded version from the website, I also tried that... 

Is it just a broken update maybe?  Right now I'm naked with no firewalls because frankly this software working is more important than Avast but I'd like to get back to secure again asap.  Do we just need to wait for a patch or something?  Or, is there some foolproof new method to make it work and I'm just the fool nobody planned for?  :P   Thanks for any ideas, it's taken me a while to figure out that I had to uninstall to fix it. 

Best Regards,
AJ

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:28:04 AM by aj19 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast blocking software even when firewall disabled.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 05:46:49 AM »
Might be a bug, wait for one of the devs and/or submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/contact (paid versions)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline aj19

Re: Avast blocking software even when firewall disabled.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
Sounds good.  I just disconnected my cable modem for now so I can continue to do renders.  These things happen.