Author Topic: Avast can't be this difficult!!  (Read 2616 times)

almostaerp

Avast can't be this difficult!!
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:32:23 PM »
>:( It's me again! I have a few more questions, for right now. Where is the definitions for what avast says is wrong with the PC? ??? ??? ???

After 8+ hours of scanning, it tells me A.) That more than 3,500 files are unable to scan. I tried putting them in the chest, but it wouldn't go. I did put the files in my recycle bin. I don't know what else to do with them. Are they needed or or they bugs that I can delete? B.) It says that it is not done scanning.  ??? ??? ??? :-\ :'( What is that suppose to mean? I thought that the scan did one at a time, or all at once. ??? It is just very confusing. Not knowing what avast will do next.

Should a standard scan take 8+ hours? I dd see a lot of files I thought were deleted. I suppose I will get rid of them, then try it again. Remember I'm the one with Win98. :( :(

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast can't be this difficult!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:23:30 AM »
What other security based software do you have that might password protect their files, e.g. Spybot S&D, AdAware (I believe that if you take advantage of additional skins these are protected), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

The more data you have (and if you also have archives scanned), the less system performance/resources you have (CPU, RAM, etc.) will also extend the duration of the scan. You don't mention anything about these so it isn't really possible to comment on the duration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

Re: Avast can't be this difficult!!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 01:41:06 AM »
 :)  Hi :

Sounds like it would be advisable if you read Avast's
     "FAQ"s !? Probably would be best to start with :

http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html  .