Author Topic: Wifi inspector results changing between scans  (Read 1298 times)

Offline _lexi

Wifi inspector results changing between scans
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
Hi all

My network setup:
  • transparent VDSL bridge connected by Ethernet to Google Wifi #1
  • Google Wifi #1 connected by mesh wireless to Google Wifi #2
  • Google Wifi #2 connected by Ethernet to un-managed Netgear 5-port switch
  • 5-port switch connected by Ethernet to PC

My problem:
I have noticed that Avast Wifi Inspector, which I run from my PC as part of Avast Internet Security, can report differing information about the components of my home network, even though the setup of my network has not changed.

For example: I ran Wifi Inspector on 22/Sept and it detected Google Wifi puck #1 correctly, reporting it as a router and returning its LAN IP etc. However, it reported Google Wifi puck #2 (connected to #1 via mesh wifi) as "Unknown", although it did correctly identify its LAN IP.

I ran Wifi Inspector again on 23/Sept and it detected Google Wifi puck #1 correctly and included some additional ports and services information, but this time it also detected Google Wifi puck #2 as a router and included ports and services information also.

What's going on? I would expect that Wifi Inspector would report consistent results, given that I hadn't made any changes to my network between the two scans.

Only my Google Wifi pucks seem affected by this issue. Wifi Inspector reports correct information on the PCs and Android devices connected to my network each time it is run.

Is this an issue I need to be concerned about? Has running Wifi Inspector changed the behaviour of my Google Wifi units or my Avast firewall?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:49:11 PM by _lexi »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Wifi inspector results changing between scans
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
What's going on? I would expect that Wifi Inspector would report consistent results, given that I hadn't made any changes to my network between the two scans.
Maybe a avast change / update ?

Offline _lexi

Re: Wifi inspector results changing between scans
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
Unlikely. The second scan took place less than 24hrs after the first, and at the weekend. Also, I don't know if Avast update Wifi Inspector as frequently as their virus profiles.

Annoyingly, I never thought to record the results of previous scans, so I can't see if there is similar variation in the data that Wifi Inspector has reported in the past. I only noticed the issue this time because I ran another scan while the first was still fresh in my memory. Does Wifi Inspector maintain a log file anywhere?