Author Topic: quick scan found far more viruses than normal scan  (Read 4618 times)

gnwd

quick scan found far more viruses than normal scan
« on: July 13, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
today, I downloaded a viruses pack. but to my great surprise, the quick scan method found more virused than normal scan.

plz see the figures below: the first one is the result of normal scan.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:22:02 PM by gnwd »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: quick scan found far more viruses than normal scan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:32:05 PM »
That's interesting, indeed. Can you send me (by PM) a link to this package, if it's downloadable somewhere?
Thanks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 06:46:25 PM »
I'm unable to simulate that big difference with the package you sent me.

Yes, the Standard scan detected less (3492) files than the quick one (3735), but that can be explained. The Quick scan, selecting the files to scan only by file extensions, detected some of the .zip archives both inside (i.e. the real unpacked content), and outside (i.e. the parent ZIP file - the malware inside was probably "stored", so the plaintext was visible in the original ZIP without unpacking). The Standard scan, inspecting the real file type, ignored the outer ZIP archive (and scanned only the unpacked content).
So, during the Quick scan, some files were actually detected twice - therefore the bigger number.

gnwd

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 04:21:10 AM »
Normal scan report: we can see a lot of "skipped".

* avast! Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Task 'Simple user interface' used
* Started on 2006年7月14日 11:11:59
* VPS: 0628-4, 2006-07-13

D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\a204.zip\A204.COM\ah.com [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\a204.zip\A204.COM [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\a204.zip [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\a_204.zip\A_204.COM [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\a_204.zip [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\aaron.zip\AARON.COM [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\aaron.zip [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)
D:\temp\atozvirus\a.zip\ab-429.zip\AB-429.COM [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)

gnwd

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 04:23:15 AM »
I will reinstall avast and see what will happen

gnwd

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 05:13:14 AM »
After reinstallation. I got the same results of igor.

Anyone can give me some explanation about the log file above. Why were so many .com files skipped?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
That's odd - the .COM files certainly should not be skipped... for the ZIP files (e.g. a204.zip), it's OK, but not for COM (such as a204.zip\A204.COM\ah.com).

It works as expected for me... OK, I'm using the latest internal build, but I don't think it can make any difference.
So, it was a Standard Scan with Archive scanning enabled, using the skinned Simple User Interface? Do you have any custom exclusions in program settings?

gnwd

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »
Basically, I kept all settings by default. Since I have reinstalled avast home edition, the strange situation can't be reproduced again.

BTW, windows 2000, avast home edition 4.7.844, the default music player style interface.

After reinstallation, I have tried to turn on/off the simple user interface before test. The test results showed it's none of the bussiness of interface...

??? ??? ???

avvidro

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 03:51:03 PM »
today, I downloaded a viruses pack.
Hello, I am not belong to avast team, but anyway, please could you post or send by personal message (to avvidro) the link of this package?

Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »
Neither am I a member of the Alwil team and this is an anti-virus support forum and not a virus distribution service. So I personally don't think this link should be displayed on a publicly available forum, nor would I advise sending it to someone you don't know. Regardless of how well intentioned their purpose might appear to be you just don't know them.

This is not meant as any slight on avvidro or his intention, just a general security precaution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security