Author Topic: forced install of browser  (Read 2444 times)

REDACTED

forced install of browser
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:50:30 PM »
I am a field engineer for a large PC manufacturer and I had recommended AVAST to dozens of home users.  I am now getting calls about the safe browser being forcibly installed.  How do I prevent the **** from being installed.  Scraping it off seems to get rid of it for a bit but like a virus it keeps coming back.  How do I prevent the virus from being forcibly installed or am I migrating 70 users home users to another product?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 12:41:44 AM by doIneedaNEW-AV »

REDACTED

Re: forced install of browser
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:08:19 AM »
Has anyone found a way to use group policy to uninstall this virus and prevent its return?  Avast was a fine product but I need a recommendation for something that won't violate me in this manner.

Offline Will465

• Avast team
  • Browser Product Manager
Re: forced install of browser
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for voicing your issue with us, we always try to provide the best products and services for our users. It sounds like you have not had a great experience thus far so let’s see if we can assist.

To clarify, you will only receive the browser in the following scenarios:
  • If you had SafeZone Browser installed on your machine you will have been automatically updated. Unlike the old SafeZone Browser you can uninstall Avast Secure Browser independently of the Antivirus.
  • You accepted an offer to install the browser from the Avast Antivirus. This could have been on the first page of the installer for Antivirus or from a post-update screen.

Aside from installing the browser from our product page or other website these are the only circumstances you should receive the browser. If an install occurred outside of these channels then there is a serious issue that we will need to investigate.

Would you be able to provide us with some more detailed diagnostics. This will help us investigate this issue further.

Please use the following steps:
Open the browser and click on the menu icon (3 dots)
Click on "Help and About Avast Secure Browser" and then "About Avast Secure Browser"
Click on "Diagnostic Information" (this will open a pop-up window)
Click the "COPY TO CLIPBOARD" button to capture the information

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing this information.

Thank you.