Author Topic: Mouse Save URL or Copy File starts app install, e.g. Napster, or MS Office  (Read 2559 times)

directjj

When I left click drag a URL out of the address bar of Internet Explorer into a Folder on my PC (e.g. a Favorites Folder)

I get a dialog saying Please insert the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Program CD to install the Napster client.

I did a Control Panel } Add Remove Programs } Roxio 7 } Repair but it didn't make the symptoms go away.

When I Right Click } Drag } Copy a file from one folder to another I get the same thing.

I can cancel out of the install attempt and the copy takes place.

Sometimes the install dialog has to do with Office 2003.

I am very low on disk space. 3.16 gig free on an 80Gig drive in a HP ZD7000 notebook, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 1Gig Ram.

Ran SpySweeper

Ran Scan Disk

Ran Registry Mechanic (double clicking the icon on the desktop to launch it brought up one of the install dialogs, which I just cancelled out of and then ran it.)

Ran Disk Cleanup right now.

Don't think it is a virus, or could it be?

Avast AntiVirus (replaced Norton System Works 2005) and recently ran the Norton Cleanup routines to get rid of it 100%.

ALSO IS THERE A WAY TO SET UP THIS FORUM HERE TO ALWAYS SEND ME NOTIFICATOINS and not have to mouse on options?

Spiritsongs

:)  Hi :

Ran what "Norton Cleanup routines" !? I know one or
      more of the regular "Helpers" think merely running the
      SymNRT is sufficient; however, my personal experience is
      I "uninstalled" ALL "components" of Norton/Symantec from
      Add/Remove Programs AND ran the "SymNRT" and a
     "Search > All files and folders" found many Symantec or
      Norton entries that had to be individually "delete(d)"
      plus a registry cleaner found entries there .

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
ALSO IS THERE A WAY TO SET UP THIS FORUM HERE TO ALWAYS SEND ME NOTIFICATOINS and not have to mouse on options?

Click the Profile button (at the top of every page), Notifications and email, and ensure the Notifications you want are ticked (both), you will then be emailed about responses to topics you started or contributed to.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

Sometimes the install dialog has to do with Office 2003.

Hi directjj,

I recently had a similar Office installation problem when opening my e-mail client.  It started after I ran a registry cleaner and restoring the prior registry fixed it for me.