Author Topic: Avast blocks dnscrypt-proxy and all internet connections  (Read 1901 times)

Offline glnz

Avast blocks dnscrypt-proxy and all internet connections
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:47:30 AM »

I’ve had problems with internet connections the last 10 days when I reboot my Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine, which has Simple DNSCrypt and so of course the dnscrypt-proxy service and process.  (See the stupendous article https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/how-to-keep-your-isps-nose-out-of-your-browser-history-with-encrypted-dns/  .)

Upon the most recent reboot with no internet connection, I saw that I had the Event Viewer Error “The DNSCrypt client proxy service failed to start due to the following error:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.”

Upon starting the dnscrypt-proxy service manually, I was suddenly connected.

Suspecting my Avast Free AV, I “excluded” the entire dnscrypt-proxy folder.  So far, so good - no internet connection problems on reboot.    My Avast Free is version 18.6.2349 (build 18.6.3983.371).

So - Avast  - can you please maybe decide to play nice with dnscrypt-proxy service? ???

Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:58:30 AM by glnz »
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline glnz

Re: Avast blocks dnscrypt-proxy and all internet connections
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »

Added info:  I have Simple DNSCrypt version 0.5.8 (x64) and dnscrypt-proxy version 2.0.16.

Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.