Author Topic: Need automatic setting to move infected files to chest  (Read 4000 times)

More2

Need automatic setting to move infected files to chest
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:57:35 AM »
I am a new user.  Everytime Avast finds a Trojan horse, it stops and asks what I would like to do with the infected file.  The scan stops until I tell it what to do (delete, move to quarantine chest, etc.).

Is there a setting I can use to tell the scan to move infected files to the chest automatically, so the scan will continue?

The program always recommends moving infected files to the chest.  Is this always better to do than deleting the infected files?  When can I safely delete from the chest?

Thanks for all of your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Need automatic setting to move infected files to chest
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:04:17 AM »
Is there a setting I can use to tell the scan to move infected files to the chest automatically, so the scan will continue?
No, only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Or you can use Silent Mode:

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for hte user automatically.

The program always recommends moving infected files to the chest.  Is this always better to do than deleting the infected files?  When can I safely delete from the chest?
If you delete a system file (even infected) your system cannot boot...
Chest is safer then just deleting... You can delete the file some (2 ou 3) weeks after.
Other 'problem' is a false detection. If you delete a legit file that avast thinks that is infected, then... you'll lose the file. If the wrong detection is corrected, you can restore the clean file from Chest  ;)
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 07:48:04 AM »
I am a new user.  Everytime Avast finds a Trojan horse, it stops and asks what I would like to do with the infected file.  The scan stops until I tell it what to do (delete, move to quarantine chest, etc.).

This is another way (along with withholding script blocking) that Alwil tries to "encourage" folks to pay for the professional version.  ;)

Best Regards...

More2

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »
A little inconvenience is always part of a free program.  ::)

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Is there a way to reverse this decision in the future?  Also, does the program save the results so I can click on them at another time and review the problems?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
Is there a way to reverse this decision in the future?
I think this works only in that particulary scanning.
Next time, you'll have to check this option again...

Also, does the program save the results so I can click on them at another time and review the problems?
No. Only the last results are saved. You can see the report file anyway, choosing to 'append' and not to 'replace' the info.
On the Professional version you can save whatever you want and can work with the results later.

More2

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
So, if I choose to append, then it just keeps adding each scan result to the same document?

Thanks for all of your help.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »
So, if I choose to append, then it just keeps adding each scan result to the same document?
I suppose so... I don't have the Home version to test right now. Can you try?

More2

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »
Thanks.  I will give it a try.