Author Topic: Avast Secure Browser would not uninstall and other problems  (Read 4591 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Avast Secure Browser would not uninstall and other problems
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »
The failure to uninstall capped significant problems posed by Avast Secure Browser. Bank mode was not automatic for the two web sites concerned. In fact, a lot of behaviours were inconsistent. Things would sometimes work and sometimes not. The actual browsing experience was OK but I decided I had to continue with Firefox/NoScript.

I would have persevered had it been possible to easily do a manual switch to Bank mode but the only visible means of switching, the credit card symbol on the toolbar, failed to function most of the time.

Then I discovered that the attempt to uninstall failed. I resorted to a System Restore and returned to Firefox/NoScript.

The verdict: deep disappointment.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast Secure Browser would not uninstall and other problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
You could try this to clean your system of any remnants:  https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Secure-Browser
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your experience with the SecureBrowser wasn't great. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Could I ask you for some more specific details about the inconsistencies, and what things sometimes work and sometimes not? Could you also let me know which websites you were visiting where you didn't get the pop-up bar asking if you wanted to switch to Bank Mode? We would really appreciate the feedback.

FYI, you can right-click on any link (such as the link to a login page) and click "Open link in Bank Mode window" from the context menu to manually open a link in Bank Mode. Alternatively, you can open a new Bank Mode session by clicking the Avast logo to the right of the address bar to open the "Security and Privacy Center" and then click "Open" on the Bank Mode tile.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:51:36 AM »
Quote from loungehake:
"I would have persevered had it been possible to easily do a manual switch to Bank mode but the only visible means of switching, the credit card symbol on the toolbar, failed to function most of the time".

What 'credit card symbol'?? ???
I've never seen any symbol, have always "right clicked" Avast icon

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
The credit card symbol is what I call a hidden toolbar app which appears to have the purpose of manually switching to 'bank' mode. It worked occasionally but usually failed with an error message.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
The credit card icon was in the old SafeZone Browser to the right of the address bar, as in the attached image. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a credit card icon in Secure Browser. Also, from your signature, it looks like you might be using an XP machine (Secure Browser isn't supported on XP). Can you confirm if it was SafeZone or Secure Browser that you were using?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 11:24:53 PM »
The credit card icon was in the old SafeZone Browser to the right of the address bar, as in the attached image. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a credit card icon in Secure Browser. Also, from your signature, it looks like you might be using an XP machine (Secure Browser isn't supported on XP). Can you confirm if it was SafeZone or Secure Browser that you were using?

Thanks for clarification BWhit. As I us ASB as default I know there is no Credit Card Icon with ASB. :)

Offline Sara107

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:07 AM »
I'm going to post my issues here instead of adding another gripe thread.

I really liked the avast secure zone...whatever you call it...but a few days ago all that changed. The browser won't open at all. So i did all the things in FAQ, close, restart the PC, btw, I run windows 10...everything is updated.....so I uninstall and reinstall. I have paid avast anti-virus.

All my banking and gmail, medicare...important stuff was in there.....now

nothing.

VERY mad and disappointed. I hate all the chromes, firefox,edge, other browsers....now the ONLY one I liked won't work. I do NOT have time for this crap.

Sara107   and oh shit....captcha...really? I cant read it AT ALL. I'll lose this post for sure....ok, copy the damn post. It's one thing after another. I'm on the third image.....LOVELY!!!!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:45 AM »
Hi Sara107
It's possible this recommended procedure will resolve you Avast Secure Browser issue. :)

Clean install of the Secure Browser:

Download the installer from here, https://www.avast.com/en-us/secure-browser
Download the Secure Browser Removal tool from here, https://download.avastbrowser.com/avast_secure_browser_uninstall.exe

Save your Bookmarks via the Book Marks Manager if you have custom bookmarks so you can import them when you re-install.
Uninstall Secure Browser via Programs and Features - Reboot
Run the removal tool, reboot, run the installer import your favorites if you saved them.

A video to help with the installation: https://youtu.be/r_VLA0HMLQM

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 06:53:31 AM »
and oh shit....captcha...really? I cant read it AT ALL. I'll lose this post for sure....ok, copy the damn post. It's one thing after another. I'm on the third image.....LOVELY!!!!
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline carnut84gti

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 01:38:58 AM »
and oh shit....captcha...really? I cant read it AT ALL. I'll lose this post for sure....ok, copy the damn post. It's one thing after another. I'm on the third image.....LOVELY!!!!

That's fine, but they could use a captcha system that's actually readable. Kinda pointless when people you want to let through can't even use it.

Offline Sara107

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 01:45:57 AM »

That's fine, but they could use a captcha system that's actually readable. Kinda pointless when people you want to let through can't even use it.

Thank you, it's very VERY hard to read. I've had to use six images and finally listened to it. Guess I should have LISTENED the first time. Makes you feel like you are in pre-school though.

Well, I still got that wrong.....now the listen link doesn't work...nice.

Offline Sara107

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »
Hi Sara107
It's possible this recommended procedure will resolve you Avast Secure Browser issue. :)

Clean install of the Secure Browser:

Download the installer from here, https://www.avast.com/en-us/secure-browser
Download the Secure Browser Removal tool from here, https://download.avastbrowser.com/avast_secure_browser_uninstall.exe

Save your Bookmarks via the Book Marks Manager if you have custom bookmarks so you can import them when you re-install.
Uninstall Secure Browser via Programs and Features - Reboot
Run the removal tool, reboot, run the installer import your favorites if you saved them.

A video to help with the installation: https://youtu.be/r_VLA0HMLQM

Thank you for the help....I'm running windows 10 and having to usetheir blue Edge browser. It won't open those links...but thank you anyway.

Offline Sara107

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 02:01:39 AM »
I used the links on another thread that you posted on....sad to say, it did not solve the problem. I wish I knew what else to do. The only decent browser I liked, gone with the wind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:17:56 AM by Sara107 »