Consumer Products > Avast Mac Security

Free Avast for Mac strange behavior ..!??? Why all that data moved ?

(1/1)

REDACTED:
Hi all, I had some problem installing on my own computer a company agent to read @home some working files when away from office. Doing debug I took under control using activity panel on my network.

I found that Avast was sending/reading a tons of data somewhere ??? 1,87 Gb data sent !!Why and where ...??

This is an unusual numbers data exchanged.. they sound exagerate ! Or not ? Any idea of why ?
Is that behavior usual/legal or that ?? Let me know your thinking ... thanks Andrea

lukas.hasik:
Hi Andrea,
the AV should not send any such data to our servers. Would you mind to share more details? Logs? What process is it?

Best regards,
Lukas

--- Quote from: Andrea Marco on October 08, 2018, 02:59:13 PM ---Hi all, I had some problem installing on my own computer a company agent to read @home some working files when away from office. Doing debug I took under control using activity panel on my network.

I found that Avast was sending/reading a tons of data somewhere ??? 1,87 Gb data sent !!Why and where ...??

This is an unusual numbers data exchanged.. they sound exagerate ! Or not ? Any idea of why ?
Is that behavior usual/legal or that ?? Let me know your thinking ... thanks Andrea

--- End quote ---

ondrej.kolacek:
Hello,

since our Web Shield and Mail Shield process scans your http and mail traffic, we route your mail and web traffic through it. This means that this traffic shows at least once (communication between Avast and the web/mail server) and possibly twice (communication between browser/mail client and Avast) in Activity Monitor. The traffic attributed to Avast  is most likely simply the browser and mail traffic.

While Avast communicates with our back end servers, the traffic should be nowhere close to the numbers you have mentioned.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

REDACTED:
Hi all of you, effectively the process involved was the proxy.avast.com still the quantity of data exchanged was abnormal.

I do care a lot about port and data transfer.. Thats happens installing a CTERA Agent that was conflicting with the email port mail shield is monitoring.
The size remote project directory I synced was about 350 Mbyte and this is far from the 1.85 Gbyte transferred.

I have some doubt but I do not trade secret stuff so is only because I am caring and more in a bad work season to investigate the issues but was really strange..
I want to install some tools to carefully monitor all the traffic and quantity I'll make from my ip. Any suggestion about ?

Now the only mitigation I had was to multiply my data backup in more positions.

best, Andrea

.: Mac :.:
proxy.avast.com would be the mail/web shield traffic Ondrej alluded to.

Im not sure I understand your question exactly, but if wanting to monitor traffic from your IP address (Public) most routers now track this usage in some way and report on it. Not sure where multiplying the backup comes in to play.

If you can elaborate more we can try to further assist.

Cheers,
Mac

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version