Author Topic: Auot reload of pages  (Read 3448 times)

REDACTED

Auot reload of pages
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:02:23 AM »
This is a nightmare.  You've all done it, had multiple pages open.  When you switch from page to page, it's nice if they're all there, all open when you switch.  Now, they aren't.  Same problem with Google Chrome.  In the past, there have been sites with directions on how to stop the auto reloading of pages.  Now Chrome has defeated these options and you are forced to have the pages disappear when they're not the 'active' viewing page.  This is way beyond irritating, especially when you are snipe bidding on eBay as just one example.

Now to the Avast browser, the same issue occurs here and it seems to be worse with the current version.  If you have multiple pages open, usually every one except the one being currently viewed have disappeared to have a blank screen in their place.  When I switch from page to page, I have to wait for every one to reload.

Disgusting!!!  I've searched for ways to turn this off and have all pages waiting, as they should be, but neither in the Avast browser or Chrome can you defeat this option.  Any online advice is outdated and does not work on the current versions of either browser.

Any ideas on how to get this to stop???  Or at least slow it down (or speed it up as it were)???

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Auot reload of pages
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
Hi vettecityman, can I ask which method you're using to stop the auto-reload? I have tried disabling the Automatic tab discarding flag today on the latest version of Secure Browser (69), and it seems to be stopping the auto-reloads correctly for me. If you've used this in the past to defeat the function, are you sure it's still disabled?

To disable this feature: navigate to secure://flags/#Automatictabdiscarding in Secure Browser, and change the setting to "Disabled". You can then check on whether any tabs have auto-refreshed by navigating to secure://discards which shows you how many times it has discarded a tab, which is the auto-reload function.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Auot reload of pages
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:26 AM »
I can't speak for vettecityman, but I can say this auto-reload feature in version 69 has been a bit of a boor, what with blank pages on return to an inactive tab.  You had to wait for content to reload again every single time to view that page.

This setting is now disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801