Author Topic: Recover Passwords using old pam.db / kv_pam.db / kv_pampub.db / kv_pam.db  (Read 6880 times)

REDACTED

Hi,

Need help recovering my passwords, very important, so any help would be grateful.

So I was using Avast passwords but my 8 year old crucial SSD started to give errors and my windows 10 crashed.

After trying to repair my windows 10 I give up and saved all my files including pam.db / kv_pam.db / kv_pampub.db / kv_pam.db.

Installed a fresh windows10 and installed avast but when I copy the old files I get an error in avast passwords (Error 0x8009000BU)

I didn't had sychro enabled / neither a master password  :-\

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Offline zaron352

So I'm getting the same error message, but I did not change computers or move files between drives. I updated Avast today after the restart I now get "Error 0x8009000BU" I really need to be able to access some of these passwords. Is there a fix for this or a way to recover the passwords?

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Re: Recover Passwords using old pam.db / kv_pam.db / kv_pampub.db / kv_pam.db
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:21:57 PM »
@locos

Short version: No
Long version: When you are not using syncing or master password, you are using system login. This form of authentication is using Win's Data Protection API for encryption or decryption. Basically you system login key can be decrypted only on same computer and same windows user as it was encrypted on.

@zaron

Is the issue still there, there was a hotfix for that.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster

@zaron

Is the issue still there, there was a hotfix for that.
When was the fix published?
because ... same error for french user
He never had this error before updating avast to version 18.7.2354
a repair did not work