Author Topic: Avast conflicts with "Focus Assist" in Windows 10  (Read 2592 times)

REDACTED

Avast conflicts with "Focus Assist" in Windows 10
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:01:29 AM »
The "Do Not Disturb Mode" in Avast conflicts with the "Focus Assist" in Windows 10.
It will blank the Windows Action Center, and can't get in the "Focus Assist" settings in Control Panel, after waking the computer up from sleep mode.
You must turn "Do Not Disturb Mode" off to fix it.
Hope Avast debug this...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:16:26 AM by midikid »

Offline Tomáš Vybíral

• Avast team
Re: Avast conflicts with "Focus Assist" in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »
Hi midikid,
I was able to reproduce your problem with the settings. When you turn off the Windows Notification Center service, it causes the setting of focus assist to crash. DnD mode does this when you enter fullscreen mode in some application (to prevent WNC popups to disturb you), BUT this feature should be turned off by default right now. Is your computer connected to the Internet?
Also when you wake up your computer Windows creates new instance of WNC service, so it should be running ok after wake up. Did you run some fullscreen apps after you woke up your computer? Or just for example Edge (we know that there are some issues with Edge)?

EDIT: Ok it shouldn't be turned off by default :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:15:50 AM by Tomáš Vybíral »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
Hi, Tomáš Vybíral

Thanks for your advice.
I never use Edge, I always use Chrome.
And I didn't open any fullscreen app after wake up.
The Windows Action Center is blank at the beginning when Windows wakes up.
Also the Focus Assist settings in Control Panel crashes at the beginning when Windows wakes up.
And of course, my computer is connected to the internet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:06:46 AM by midikid »

Offline Tomáš Vybíral

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
Hi midikid,
It seems that the WNC service (that is used by Focus Assist) have problem when it's turned off and on (we reported this to Microsoft). But something must trigger DnD mode to stop the service. Do you have some wierd apps in your DnD mode app list? If so can you send me the list from your hard drive (located in: C:\Program Data\AVAST Software\Avast\gaming_mode\games.json, you might also want to disable avast self defence for a minute (Settings>Troubleshooting>Enable Avast self defence module) and stop avast service for a minute to copy that file :) ).
If you don't have any weird apps in that list, you can just try to disable option to silence notifications from 3rd-party apps, that might help.

If that doesn't help, can you please turn on debug logging in Settings>General>Maintenance>Enable debug logging, reproduce your issue and then send me DnD log from C:\Program Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log\GamingMode.log (you need to do same things as for the game list).

Also some more info about this problem: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=222394.0

UPDATE:
I tried waking up computer with the WNC service stuck at Stopping and Windows didn't create new instance of the service. So your problem might be occurring before you put your computer to sleep.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:50:05 PM by Tomáš Vybíral »