Author Topic: Permanently password loss after windows died alone  (Read 3836 times)

REDACTED

Permanently password loss after windows died alone
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Well as all exploitation system, which in my case, is win 8.1, windows get corrupted and i had to soft reformat and reinstall windows (all programs were deleted, avast included and few files) ,
but the things was after that my passwords were just gone (that after that i've decided to connect my google account and synchronise they on my new one as i had no access to my ancient).
i need some of the precious password.
i not able to contact support for some reason (or maybe cause they is no support now).

EDIT1: i'm asking myself if there is a way to get back password as i still have that windows.old

There is a folder in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Avast Software called APM (Avast Password Manager).
Be aware that we only support the synchronization group (cloud*) method for backing-up the passwords, and that while restoring the folder might work, it is not guaranteed.

found that on other post so i've found the folder in windows.old, there are 4 files in it, how i can use them to restore the password, or just decrypt the file to permit me to read them?
And if i have to backup them, how to add them as new password without deleting my others.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:16:09 PM by Gess1t »

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Re: Permanently password loss after windows died alone
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
Hi Gess1t,

Did you have master password set up in Passwords before windows reinstallation? If yes (and you remember the password!) then all you need to do is to move the files to same folder in new windows installation.

Dan

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:03:36 PM »
Hi Gess1t,

Did you have master password set up in Passwords before windows reinstallation? If yes (and you remember the password!) then all you need to do is to move the files to same folder in new windows installation.

Dan

yes i've setup it before the reinstallation , the things is, if i replace the files that are actually on my APM appdata folder, i'll loose my actual passwords.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »
You can still backup your current files, use the old ones, unlock the old vault, do an export to chrome, use the new (current) files and do an import from chrome

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
You can still backup your current files, use the old ones, unlock the old vault, do an export to chrome, use the new (current) files and do an import from chrome

Well but how i can replace them, my system are asking for permission even if i'm the administrator, and when i want to modify the folder name, windows tell me to close avast ^^ (things that i cna't do)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:54:49 PM by Gess1t »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
As Avast take over the whole system, it's still impossible for me to edit / copy / move any file, that's a big up, i'm sorry about, that, but i wont give up until i recover my passwords.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
To be able to move files in your APM folder, you need to disable avast's self-protection and kill all AvastUI processes via task manager

Dan