Author Topic: Thunderbird eMail conflict with Avast VPN  (Read 8575 times)

Offline jpaulb1

Thunderbird eMail conflict with Avast VPN
« on: October 25, 2018, 07:42:30 AM »
Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me resolve this issue.

I use the Thunderbird eMail client, along with gmail POP services.

Recently, I can successfully Log-In to my gmail POP account only if my Avast VPN is active, and set to Gotham City USA. If I turn the VPN off and Log-In, my eMail client will display the "Failed to connect to server.pop.gmail.com" message. It will not download any of the accumulated messages on the gmail server, although the client settings have not changed.

Does anyone have a suggestion to solve this puzzle?

Many thanks,
-Paul

Many Thanks,
Paul

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Thunderbird eMail conflict with Avast VPN
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
Hi
I'm not sure of a specific solution as I have pretty much exactly the same setup as in I use/have used Thunderbird and Avast and Secureline VPN for some time now without any conflict or issue, whether the VPN in on of off.

Having said that, if it were me I'd be tempted to uninstall Thunderbird, Reboot and reinstall Thunderbird with the VPN off. Run it that way for a while if it resolves your issue and then try it with the VPN on. It may not change anything but who knows, sometimes a reinstall can straighten out the kinks. :-\

Of course, you will have to set up your email account/s again in Thunderbird.

As I say, I'm not experiencing any issue as you described.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:02:58 AM by schmidthouse »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
I have the opposite problem. I can receive mail on Thunderbird with VPN on or off.
Cannot send mail when VPN is on.
I really do not want to uninstall and reinstall the software if I need to recreate my accounts.
Would I lose saved email under different accounts as well?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
I have the opposite problem. I can receive mail on Thunderbird with VPN on or off.
Cannot send mail when VPN is on.
I really do not want to uninstall and reinstall the software if I need to recreate my accounts.
Would I lose saved email under different accounts as well?

No,I never have.
Once Thunderbird is uninstalled, Reboot and install the latest version then enter same email addresses you originally had set up.
Thunderbird sends and retrieves emails from web-based email accounts such as MSN, Gmail, Yahoo etc./whatever.
The emails "remain" on those accounts regardless of whether Thunderbird is installed or not. :)

Offline Colin85

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 03:48:40 AM »
I also have the Thunderbird conflict with Avast VPN as noted by Pam47.
Emails are received, but emails will not send, returning an alert which specified some 'error codes: the client host rejects the message: and denies access.'
My Internet Service Provider was of the opinion that Avast VPN may have specific ports to use for the outgoing SMTP server which may be different to their usual setting.
Avast FAQ's give either 443 TCP or 553 UDP  as the ports to use.
I tried both of these outgoing ports and whilst both tried to connect, neither of them succeeded due to a time out, or because the connection was lost in the middle of the transaction.
I have not tried the option of reinstalling of Thunderbird if there could be another work around.

Offline evenson

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
I have the same problem as Pam and Colin 85. My Thunderbird programme won't send any messages when VPN is in use. The display gives the alternative to try again, but the result is allways the same: no contact. I then for some reason clicked away this shield with the X in the upper wright corner and when I then checked the folder for sent mails, the last mail came right up, as the contents showed. Well, this helps me from uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird  :)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline evenson

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
Hi,
Thunderbird is not mentioned in this article.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Hi, Thunderbird is not mentioned in this article.
It is, reread the FAQ.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline evenson

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
I found the proper passage and followed the instruction. The mails still don't leave the computer unless I use my home-made method to click away the shield by using the cross. When I logged out from the VPN, mails vere promptly delivered

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:34 AM »
I found the proper passage and followed the instruction. The mails still don't leave the computer unless I use my home-made method to click away the shield by using the cross. When I logged out from the VPN, mails vere promptly delivered

The other alternative would be to set up a VPN bypass route.
Please see this article: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/SecureLine-VPN-exclude-server

Offline evenson

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
As I had the choice between SecureLine and Thunderbird mailbox I chose the latter. There was no way to make the mailbox work, while SecureLine was in use. Sorry to see it go, but perhaps there will be a new chance later on, when all teething troubles have been attended to.