Author Topic: Avast! Antivirus Screen-Saver Calls AVASTSS.scr A Virus  (Read 8824 times)

BernieLJ

Avast! Antivirus Screen-Saver Calls AVASTSS.scr A Virus
« on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:27 AM »
Hello All,

I'm curious about something...When I run a system scan, using Avast, Anti-Virus, for viruses, even a full, complete, and/or "deep scan" of my hard drives, I don't find any, but when I run the Avast screen-saver, the "system scan" that the Avast! screen saver does while the screen saver is running, ends up "telling me" that the file called, AVASTSS.scr is a virus.

I'm wondering if I should delete the file, or if I should place the file name into the part of the Avast anti-virus program where it would "ignore" the file AVASTSS.scr program?

Also, Zone Alarm will "tell" me that the avast32 Screen Saver program, file name AVASTSS.scr is trying to access the Internet and also is trying to accept connections from the Internet, but only when the Avast screen saver is running, so I wonder if I should "Allow" or "Deny" the program "listening" to incoming connection attempts and not allow the outgoing connection attempts by the program?

Thanks, Have a Great Day and Catch You Later,
 Bernie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Antivirus Screen-Saver Calls AVASTSS.scr A Virus
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 01:38:23 AM »
Which VPS version are you using?
Are you refering to C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVASTSS.scr file?
It's a legit file, it's a file from avast... It's not being detected by my computer right now... it's clean  ::)

Also, this file should not ask for permition to connect the Internet...
The best things in life are free.

BernieLJ

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 02:42:24 AM »
Which VPS version are you using?
Are you refering to C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVASTSS.scr file?
It's a legit file, it's a file from avast... It's not being detected by my computer right now... it's clean  ::)

Also, this file should not ask for permition to connect the Internet...

By VPS, I take it to mean in the AVAST program, right?

The VPS Version shows:
Compilation date: 7/19/2006
File version: 0629-1

Just now, when I "restored" the deleted file, which I had deleted to the Recycle Bin, instead of permanently deleting it, Avast Showed that the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVASTSS.scr contained the Trojan Horse: Win32:InfDownloader [Trj]

The rest of the message left the screen when I checked on the VPS.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:03:38 AM »
By VPS, I take it to mean in the AVAST program, right?
Right... you're using the last version. It's ok.

Just now, when I "restored" the deleted file, which I had deleted to the Recycle Bin, instead of permanently deleting it, Avast Showed that the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVASTSS.scr contained the Trojan Horse: Win32:InfDownloader [Trj]
Check the hash info for this file. You must have something different.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »
Can you send us the file, e.g. in a password protected ZIP to virus@avast.com, or move it to Chest and submit it?