Author Topic: after installing avast, i can no longer connect to the web...  (Read 3944 times)

bruderda

When i try to browse with IE, i get the "Cannot find server" message for everything. And avast! cannot connect to update. I tried messing with my firewall settings, and even turning it off completely, but to no avail. Please advise! Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: after installing avast, i can no longer connect to the web...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:23:05 AM »
What is your OS ?
What is your firewal ?
Does it allow access for ashWebSv.exe (I know you said you disabled the firewall) ?
Does it allow access for avast.setup (the avast update) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:15:53 AM »
If you close your browser, clean temporary files, open it again, can't you reach any site?
Are you sure you're clean? I mean, did you run avast at boot time and at least one antitrojan? (like www.ewido.net)
The best things in life are free.

bruderda

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 08:53:52 PM »
My OS is Windows XP Home. My firewall is Windows Firewall, but yes, I did disable it. And before I disabled it, I did add avast! to the list of program exceptions.
I will try to clean the hell out of everything again and see what happens.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »
My OS is Windows XP Home. My firewall is Windows Firewall, but yes, I did disable it. And before I disabled it, I did add avast! to the list of program exceptions.
I will try to clean the hell out of everything again and see what happens.
Any other security program?
Any proxy application (like an annonimizer)?

Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy). Left click the avast icon > Settings > Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
The best things in life are free.

bruderda

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »
Thanks a lot for your advise.
I ended up uninstalling avast and restoring my computer to b4 i installed it, cleaned all temporary files, and then ran ewido anti-spyware. then i installed avast! and ran it on the reboot and it worked that time. and it is working with Windows Firewall. don't know why it didn't work b4, but thanks again for your help.
avast! rules!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:15:53 PM »
Glad that you have it sorted now, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security