Author Topic: First experience, "interesting" results  (Read 3226 times)

REDACTED

First experience, "interesting" results
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
Hi,
I just installed Avast, coming from other big brands' well known free products (starting with K or B..), because their solution is either too resource hungry or dumbed down a bit too much.
Avast extension didn't last long on my browser:
- asks me to set a well known search engine, which apparently duckduckgo is not (and sneakily pushing avast search engine in the process)
- tells me that stickypassword, qooqifix, kimetrak and adguard are unsafe extensions. I clicked "pass" to skip their removal and still, Avast removed them!

and when looking at the added value of AOS, it's mostly about tracking user activity (for our own satefy of course...).
So thanks but no thanks, I will give Avast AV a try because it has stellar ratings in av-comparatives.com and I'm looking for the lightest and still most effective AV solution, but it seems to be really heavy on the nag-to-upgrade-to-premium side.
Sorry for the rant, but it's in hopes that someone will take notes to improve user experience.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: First experience, "interesting" results
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
Thanks for your feedback. The extensions shouldn't be removed if you skipped them, I will verify that behavior. Yes we track the activity but if you feel uncomfortable with that feel free to either disable it in settings or disable the extension at all. Most of the protection is anyway done by the core AV engine, not by the extension.