Author Topic: Infection in TimeMachine  (Read 3605 times)

REDACTED

Infection in TimeMachine
« on: October 31, 2018, 05:28:13 PM »
Hi, and thanks in advance for your help!  My Mac slowed to practically stopped yesterday, so I found Avast!  After a 17 hour scan, I've deleted one infection, and am not sure what to do about the infection in my TimeMachine (also our WiFi router).

Can I delete just that one file, and the rest of my TimeMachine will be fine? 

Or would it be better to completely erase TimeMachine, and start over with a fresh backup?  I also have my info backed to the Cloud, so that wouldn't be too hard (I think). 

THANKS SO MUCH!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Infection in TimeMachine
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
Not realy infections > adware and pup.
PUP = Possible Unwanted Program (wanted for some unwanted for others)

"Bundlore" is an installer which bundles legitimate applications with offers for additional third party applications that may be unwanted by the user. Such third party applications are typically installed onto users’ computers by default, but may include an option to ‘opt-out’ during or after the installation process.

genieo.com. Genieo Innovation is an Israeli company, specializing in unwanted software which includes advertising and user tracking software, commonly referred to as a potentially unwanted program, adware, privacy-invasive software, grayware, or malware. They are best known for Genieo, an application of this type.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:05:09 PM by Pondus »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »
It is common that infections are captured by the Time Machine backup, and you can remove them from there or as stated can recreate a clean backup set. Do note, that if you create a clean backup set you will loose the ability to restore files from the prior dates, but perhaps not an issue as you could use your cloud backup as stated
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
THANKS for your help - I deleted the time machine & all is well!  Great service!

Offline CommDoc

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
Hi. I have a problem similar to the original poster. Although I set my scans not to review Time Machine, Avast did anyway (for ~200 hours! - I'll be fixing that!) and found 1,402 infections and was unable to scan 11,140 files. All of the infections were in Time Machine. I read here that a person can just delete TM, but I really don't want to do that, if that means losing all my backups. Is there a way to clean all the infections in one fell swoop? If not, if I have to put them in the Chest, what's the impact on storage on my hard drive? I'm using Avast Free on a 2009 Macbook Pro. Also, I'm a newbie to Avast, so please keep it simple! :-) Thanks!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:08:18 AM »
CommDoc,

One you remove the Time Machine backup, you can have it create a new backup immediately. You would lose the ability to retrieve files from before the date you reinitialize it but once the new full backup completes you would be protected from that time forward. No need to leave Time Machine off once cleared.

Cheers!
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay