Author Topic: Avast Crashes when scanning  (Read 1889 times)

HiNuG

Avast Crashes when scanning
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:21:35 AM »
I just found out this problem since i only do a full scan for about every 2 weeks.

I use avast home edition, and it's all up to date and all that. Here's the problem, when i do a thorough or standard scan, it takes VERY long to scan a file. First i thought it was just some big files, so i just left it alone. After about 30 minutes later i come back to check on the computer, Avast is still scanning the same file it scanning 30 minutes ago. I clicked on pause and there was no response, and i checked the task manager and it says Avast is not responding.

I've had this problem about a month ago, and i reinstalled the program. I haven't done a full scan since then, and it looks like re installation didn't solve the problem.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Crashes when scanning
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:49:55 PM »
What is the exact version (build) of avast! you use? Also, can you tell us something about your computer - what operating system do you use, how much RAM memory do you have?

Now, probably the most important - what file is that? (I mean, what's the filename) How big is it?
Note, however, that the filename displayed in the user interface may not be exactly the one causing the problems - the display is refreshed every few files and if the scanner stops when opening the file, the display may still show the previous one. So, I'd suggest to go to the corresponding folder and try a few of the suspicious files (scan them with the Explorer Extension) to see which one causes the problem.