Author Topic: Avast consumes 100% Disk on Windows resume  (Read 15315 times)

Offline vechenjivot

Avast consumes 100% Disk on Windows resume
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »
Hello, I have a problem with Avast Free Antivirus 18.7.2354 running on Windows 10.
When I resume Windows from hibernation, Avast starts to use the Disk on 100% for about 10 minutes, sometimes even more, causing the system to become unusable.
I see the Avast icon is rolling, however I cannot see what is being scanned (and why), and cannot stop it. I looked into the logs folder, but there are tens of files there with all sort of names.
I'm only using the File Shield and Web Shield components.
I have selected the following options:
Scan programs when executing
Scan scripts when executing
Scan libraries when loading
Scan documents when opening
Scan files when writing
Scan files with default extensions
Do not scan verified system DLLs
Use transient caching
Use persistent caching

I don't see a reason for Avast to scan anything when the system resumes from standby, as all programs are alrady loaded - only transferred from disk into memory.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast consumes 100% Disk on Windows resume
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
1.  Since you don't have the latest avast version 18.8.2356, I would suggest that your first action would be to get the latest version and see if it is still an issue.

2.  When windows resumes from standby/hibernation, it is likely files/data loaded from the hiberfil.sys file are resumed into memory and or disk.  This I do believe will trigger a scan as effectively avast would see a file being written to disk/loaded and scan it. 

I just wonder if the Behaviour Shield might get involved being an offshoot of the File System Shield even though you say it isn't installed.

That said I don't believe it should be consuming anything close to 100%.

That said 2, I have rolled back to 18.5.2342 (only on my winXP system) because of a CPU Spike by AvastSvc.exe (the main avast service), that got up to 50% or a little higher and the only resolution was a reboot.  Some others have reported high CPU activity in recent versions, I don't know if yours is directly related.

Is it the AvastSvc.exe function that is consuming 100% CPU activity ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vechenjivot

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »
Avast in my case consumes 100% Disk, not CPU

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
OK, sorry for my glaring misreading (or not) of your problem.

I certainly haven't seen much in this regard in the forums.  Something I recall was about one of the other avast components (a paid option) but that escapes me right now.  But since you are on avast free that probably wouldn't be a candidate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vechenjivot

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:48:09 AM »
OK, after more than five years of using Avast, I've decided that I've had enough of it quirks (crashes, ugly interface and a lot of performance issues) and got rid of it for good. Now I've switched to Microsoft Defender and can use my computer again :)

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish! :)

Offline Rub2

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 01:23:15 PM »
I have used AVAST for over ten years, read that it was the best around and recommended it to my friends, even installed paid versions in the companies where I implemented security. (I'm an IT onsultant.)
However since more than a few months I personally keep getting "Avast Service (32bit)" to use 100% of disk usage. I uninstalled, used the avast complete clean tool and reinstalled (all with the required restarts) and still it often takes 100% of disk!! And I did this several times during the last months!!
I even get punished and reported in online team games because the game doesn't respond anymore because AVAST takes 100% disk! With avast even having a -what's it called?- game sleep mode!!!  (Which obviously doesn't work.)  I am so frustrated after months of trying to give AVAST the benifits of the doubt after years of great service, but sorry, I'm out of juice now.
If this is not fixed soon, I will abandon Avast too, including advising to my clients.  I've been a proud user of it for years, but now my patience is over.
(Windows 10, 64b)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »
I have used AVAST for over ten years, read that it was the best around and recommended it to my friends, even installed paid versions in the companies where I implemented security. (I'm an IT onsultant.)
However since more than a few months I personally keep getting "Avast Service (32bit)" to use 100% of disk usage. I uninstalled, used the avast complete clean tool and reinstalled (all with the required restarts) and still it often takes 100% of disk!! And I did this several times during the last months!!
I even get punished and reported in online team games because the game doesn't respond anymore because AVAST takes 100% disk! With avast even having a -what's it called?- game sleep mode!!!  (Which obviously doesn't work.)  I am so frustrated after months of trying to give AVAST the benifits of the doubt after years of great service, but sorry, I'm out of juice now.
If this is not fixed soon, I will abandon Avast too, including advising to my clients.  I've been a proud user of it for years, but now my patience is over.
(Windows 10, 64b)
What other security programs are you using ??? Have you changed any of the settings in Avast ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet