Author Topic: Contradiction about expiration date  (Read 1416 times)

REDACTED

Contradiction about expiration date
« on: November 07, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »
I just got a pop up telling me my free Avast would expire in a few days, and that I needed to upgrade (not optional; there was no renewal option for the free version). But when I went into the Avast box and checked the exp. date, it says Nov. of 2019.  So, which do I believe?

TIA for any help with this.

PS:  I couldn't get thru to the customer service via email bec. they have no option for the free version.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:11:59 PM by ottkau »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Contradiction about expiration date
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
Since you didn't do a screen capture and post it, it is a bit hard to imagine what you saw.

I haven't had an issue updating (not upgrading) the free version which I have been using for over 14 years.

The normal screen displayed to update has two columns, one that appears to be the only active action and that is Upgrade.  Normally there is an option to the left that appears to be inactive, with the wording 'Continue with existing protection (or words to that effect)'  not particularly clear.  But clicking that option will renew your free registration for another year.

This whole mess needs sorted out, considering there is meant to be no requirement to register the free version any longer.  So there really should be no need for constant reminders, other than it gives Avast the chance to try and have you upgrade.

So it looks like your have renewed your Avast free version.  If you hadn't you would continue to get reminders and eventually ten days after expiry (you continue to be protected) the installation would be automatically renewed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »
See, I, too, thought the free version was forever, which is why the pop up gobsmacked me.  So you seem to think the pop-up was just a sales ploy?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 11:19:46 PM »
See, I, too, thought the free version was forever, which is why the pop up gobsmacked me.  So you seem to think the pop-up was just a sales ploy?

No, the popup was there to remind you of the impending renewal date (and there is a means to do that as I mentioned) and to also put a paid version upgrade option to the user.

Personally I don't have a problem with that (so long as I can reject the offer), but when the free version isn't meant to require registration, much less re-registration. Then WHY is this screen necessary AT ALL.  So when this is the case I'm a trusting sort NOT, more suspicious than trusting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security