Author Topic: huge download when conencted thrugh wifi hotspot  (Read 1415 times)

Offline mr108

huge download when conencted thrugh wifi hotspot
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:03:14 PM »
Have been using Avast Security 13.4 on a MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6
When connecting to internet using WiFi hotspot avast is downloading huge volume of files, within 90 minutes more than 1.5 GB! I've noticed that several times. I have no idea what files they are, where they are stored and why avast is doing that. This is not any download of OS updates or similar.
I found the solution: uninstall the avast
Using the latest updated version of Avast running on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: huge download when conencted thrugh wifi hotspot
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »
Hello,

you are most likely mistaken. Avast Web Shield scans your http traffic, and because of that traffic from browsers is being rerouted through our com.avast.proxy process. If you would have checked how much your browser downloaded, it would be the same 1.5GB.

While Avast does use some network bandwith (mostly continuous updates of virus definitions), this is nowhere close to the amount you have mentioned.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline mr108

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:59:30 AM »
Hi Ondrej,

I can say the same thing about your comment: "you are most likely mistaken." I actually monitored and checked the browsers downloads and it was not even close to 1.5GB, it was just less than couple of hundred MB. So it's something else here that is being faulty.
Using the latest updated version of Avast running on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
Hello,

well, it depends which Avast process in question was it. If it was com.avast.proxy, this process actually only connects to the internet when it intercepts mail and web traffic (and in case of Pro version it sometimes checks urls for phishing). I have no clue how you have measured the data, but there are many possible reasons why the amount of data is not equal to that of a browser, like:

-proxy intercepts all the browsers for https and all processes for http
-proxy intercepts all the mail download, here the traffic may actually be slightly higher than the one that goes to the mail client in some cases
-restarting of any process that went through proxy may have "lost" it's contribution to the traffic (depending on the way this is being measured)
-there are multiple safari processes in certain versions of Mac OS that download data

Saying this, there is for sure a possibility that we have a bug somewhere. But we are not able to induce that issue. If this can be easily induced, please post us instructions.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 02:01:11 AM »
Ondrej,

In this case, I would think the user would see the actual process using the data in the Activity Monitor. In my case, I ran Activity Monitor and also Firefox, watched a clip on YouTube, and Recived bytes for the Avast Proxy was 38.8MB, Firefox data received was 37.5MB. Obviously other processes are also downloading that makes Avast slightly higher, but mr108 would see some other process using a high amount of data (likely browser) as well.

At least here, this would not seem to be a bug, as 1.5GB of received data is not out of the normal for most Macs today with many apps like iCloud Drive and Dropbox that sync when on WiFi as well as HD videos.

Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay