Author Topic: Avast latest update is blocking DNS traffic  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Damian99

Avast latest update is blocking DNS traffic
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
Disabling shields allows DNS requests to go through, Avast service using 70-80%CPU.

Offline Matt343

Re: Avast latest update is blocking DNS traffic
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Our network is blowing up because of this.  Submitted a ticket.  No response from Avast yet.  All DNS traffic being blocked, processor through the roof.  C'mon Avast you're better than this, there's no excuse for suddenly bringing a company down.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »
Hi Damian,

In order to trace what is causing this, can I ask you to help identify which Shield is causing the issue? To do this, please open the Avast application > click "Protection" on the left hand side > click on the "Core Shields" tile > turn the shields off one by one and test if the issue persists. Please confirm which shield needed to be disabled before the DNS requests go through.

Offline Damian99

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi Damian,

In order to trace what is causing this, can I ask you to help identify which Shield is causing the issue? To do this, please open the Avast application > click "Protection" on the left hand side > click on the "Core Shields" tile > turn the shields off one by one and test if the issue persists. Please confirm which shield needed to be disabled before the DNS requests go through.
Web Shield seems to be the culprit, when turned off it allows DNS requests out but UI is broken web shield toggle will remain green even when off.

Offline Nancy115

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
Web shield is the culprit and avast service running at 40%+ constantly and can't be stopped without disabling and rebooting.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
I am having the exact same issue today.

Offline keith186

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
Having the same problem with three different clients using Avast CloudCare.  This is a huge problem!

Offline wvrick1958

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:14:22 PM »
Everything runs slow.

IF: I turn off any one of the core shields I have no internet connection.
IF: I right click in the taskbar on the Avast icon and select Disable all shields (been using 10 min) I get nothing blocked and fast speed.

AND when you disable all shields (1o minutes) it locks the whole interface and you have to reboot to get it working again.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:30:47 PM by wvrick1958 »

Offline paulcocacola

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
Same thing happening to me. I was pulling my hair out. I turned off Web Shield and everything was back to normal. I am running without Web Shield until there is a fix.

Offline Damian99

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
Avast support has been abysmal, many users reporting this issue and they have yet to issue a statement or fix.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 11:02:32 PM »
I am having the same issue with some of my clients. Please fix this.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »
Guys, as I've just reported in the other thread - the viruslab team has already found the problem (in one of the patterns from today's morning) and the fix is just getting ready for release. Sorry for that, we know this is very annoying. Disabling WebShield temporarily should resolve the issue and a permanent update should be out within a couple of hours.

Lukas.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0