Author Topic: Anti-rootkit monitor is disabled  (Read 2285 times)

Offline EmeraldAutumn

Anti-rootkit monitor is disabled
« on: November 22, 2018, 10:21:39 PM »
The notification area states that "the anti-rootkit monitor is disabled".

The "enable" button accompanying the notification does nothing - no response from clicking it.

Unlike other notifications this one can't be dismissed/ignored/hidden.

Full scan includes rootkit scanning but I don't see any separate anti-rootkit monitor whether enabled or disabled.

How do I enable the anti-rootkit monitor or turn off this notification? 

This is one of two Avast Free problems which have started recently.  Possibly the two are related but I'm posting them separately.

This computer is running Windows XP Pro ver 2002 sp3 and Avast Free 17.9.2322 build 17.9.3761.278

Offline EmeraldAutumn

Re: Anti-rootkit monitor is disabled
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Also: 
In Settings: Troubleshooting the Anti-rootkit monitor is checkmarked, i.e. enabled.

I've tried toggling this but it doesn't change the notification message saying that the Anti-rootkit monitor is disabled.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
Any reason you haven't updated to most recent and "last" program version for XP and Vista?
Version: 18.8.2356
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=223244.0

Offline EmeraldAutumn

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
I've "updated" to several of the 18.x versions of Avast Free this year. 

Avast Free at least through 18.4 has consistently caused problems for me with Windows XP.   I was following previous posts in this forum on this topic but did not identify any resolution - although I haven't checked the the topics recently.

After each of the "updates" I've had to reboot in Windows Safe Mode, use the Avast Clear tool to remove Avast, then return to normal mode and re-install Avast 17.9.2322.  That's the last reliable version for which I have the full installation package.