Author Topic: Avast blocking internet access?  (Read 15623 times)

Offline apurohit8

Re: Avast blocking internet access?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
Forgot to answer this one:
Since the free version doesn't contain a firewall, I highly doubt that the internet blockage is due to Avast.
It's your Firewall that controls internet access.
I have no firewall installed, other than what comes with Windows. The machine runs fine otherwise, but then stops suddenly and drops ALL connections. Disabling Avast "repairs" the problem... indicating that it's related to Avast.

Also note that your statement of "it must be something else" is false, as noted by the reply just before this one, where a specific version of Avast caused high CPU usage and blocked internet access. Besides which, due to webshield (as noted there, too) Avast can certainly break the internet connection... since it's watching what's coming through.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:40:15 PM by apurohit8 »

Offline apurohit8

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 01:42:23 PM »
Hi apurohit8,

does disabling only webshield help to resolve the issue? And when the connection drops, what is the CPU usage of AvastSvc.exe (in TaskManager - Details tab)? We released a defective VPS a couple of weeks ago (181113) that broke network connections and caused a high CPU usage (more info here --> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=223203.0). Can you make sure you are running a newer one and update it if not?

Jiri
CPU usage seems to be normal. I recall the issue before with high CPU usage and loss of network connection there (that's what I experienced on my other laptop).

I will try disabling just webshield to see if that "repairs" the issue when it happens again. I wish it were more repeatable, so I have to let it happen again. Happens about every few days...

Offline HK

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
Hi apurohit8,

Thank you for the report.

If possible, could you please provide more details like:
- The exact error message from the browser (ideally with info about browser version)
- Does the issue appear immediately after enabling all shields (web-shield) or is it working for some time and then breaks?
- Does ping of domain work or just ping of IP address?
- Generate support package with debug logging enabled (Menu > Settings > General > Maintenance > Enable debug logging) when the issue appears and send us the ID: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file

Thank you,
HK

Offline apurohit8

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 12:22:54 AM »
There is no specific error in the browser.
The issue appears sporadically... I have to use the system a lot. Since it's my wife's machine, I don't get to do this often... but I'll try to collect logs and pings in the future (logging is now turned on, as requested...)

Still, to detail a bit more, the problem appears and then I disable all shields, then after about 15 or so seconds, the connectivity is restored. Note, again, this does NOT happen on our other laptop (older machine, Win10). I can then re-enable shields and the connectivity remains fine until the next random time that it fails.

I did check pings once in the past, and those failed as well. Network connection says I'm still connected to the router, but that there is no internet connectivity (according to windows, at least).

Remember, I also ran this machine without Avast for a few weeks (just with Windows Defender) and had NO issues during that time. Only after installing Avast did the problem crop up again.

Offline apurohit8

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
Ok, just happened again after the first time. Please tell me how to find/forward logs. Where are they?

Ping fails, connectivity is lost (again, wifi shows connected to the router, but no internet). This time it's not coming back even when I disable shields...

Tell me how/where to send logs and I can do it immediately. Note the time right now, as you may need it for the logs: Dec 25th, 2018, 6:28pm eastern time zone.

Offline apurohit8

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 12:59:49 AM »
I generated a support log with the tool, in case that's what you're looking for. In the meantime, I also captured some ping data. While Avast was doing this, I would get a weird delay on pings every 6 seconds or so (see first screencap).

Then when things really went to crap, I was losing packets left and right (see second screencap).

I uninstalled Avast, had to reboot (so maybe that had something to do with it)... but as you can see the pings are clean and easy after that's done.

I have the support tool log and ZIP, though I don't see anything of use in there (the ZIP gives errors when unzipping... WTF). REALLY getting frustrated with this crap.

EDIT: One more thing, as it was asked before - CPU usage isn't spiking during these times. I know that was a problem in the past (which I also experienced) but that is not happening now...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:11:14 PM by apurohit8 »

Offline pit27

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
Hi apurohit8,

Did you get any help from Avast or just uninstalled the program?

I have exactly the same symptoms and already reported the problem to Avast, but I didn't get any answer.  :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
Better to create your own new topic, rather than open one that is over two years old.

Give more details on your system and operating system, avast version and build other security software, e.g. your firewall, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline pit27

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
Maybe it's better, but all problems are exactly the same.
I have Win7 64bit / Intel Core  i7-4770, 16 GB, 512GB SSD / Avast Free version 21.5.2470 (build 21.5.6354.679) UI 1.0.646/ Firefox, uBlock Origin/ Windows firewall/ no other running security software/ installed Malwarebytes Free 3.6.1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »
First much changes in over two years and most crucially the Avast Program, so it is taking a big leap to assume it would be the same after more than two years.

Second your question was directed to 'apurohit8' who hasn't been active in the forums since 04 January 2019, a year after his post.  I can only assume that it was resolved for him or I guess he wouldn't have been active a year later if it weren't.

Have you tried any of the suggestion already in the topic, by two Avast Team members ?
If not that would be my first suggestion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security