Author Topic: Suspicious Files Detected  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Suspicious Files Detected
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
  • Open Avast interface Window
  • On left side click on Protection and then click on Virus Chest
  • Check one MSIC5C7.tmp and mark checkbox on left side
  • Notice Delete button down and arrow on it. Click on that arrow and then on Restore As.
  • Chose Desktop as destination
  • MSIC5C7.tmp should appear on Desktop. Go to https://virustotal.com and upload it there.
  • Post here link to report

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
Hi, the file is not listed in the Virus Chest!  Perhaps Avast was unable to delete it when I clicked Resolve?

I have browsed to C:\Windows\Installer and I cannot see the files there either, and I have not acted on the last scan result showing 72 files of the same name!  (How can files with identical names even exist?) 

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 02:19:51 AM »
Then we will have to wait for response from Avast team.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
Thank you for your help to date, @Sass Drake, I really appreciate it!

Is there anything I need to do to bring this to the attention of the Avast team or will they see this post?

Just to summarise the current situation, I didn't like to shut down my computer with this unresolved for fear that something would be triggered when I rebooted, so I tried to remove all the suspect files to the "Chest".  I have also tried to Delete them.
Running a quick scan immediately after, shows no viruses.  But then when I run it again there are 70 or 80 files created again, always with the same name, MSIC5C7.tmp.
They don't appear in the Virus Chest and I can't see anything when I look in the C:\Windows\Installer location.
I have run Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy and they find no issues.

thank you
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:46:28 PM by annew52 »

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 11:45:03 PM »
The problem is, I have no file to upload.

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
Download and run TDSSKiller following instructions here.
After you finish scan, there should be report file on location similar to C:\TDSSKiller_*.txt.

Attach it to your message.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
Hi, there didn't seem to be any link to instructions, however I have downloaded the software and run a scan.  please let me know if there were any special instructions that I may have missed.
The text file is attached as instructed.

Something else new.  When I completed my most recent Avast Scan, I deleted the "virus" files it found same as I've been doing each time.  To date it's just given a green tick with no information and gone on the next step in the Resolving Issues process.
This time I closed the scan window after Step 1 of Resolving Issues (ie resolving virus issues)  When opened the scan again it said, "Resolved Issues: NaN".
Not sure if NaN is the name of an infection?  I've attached a screen shot.

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »
Hi, there didn't seem to be any link to instructions, however I have downloaded the software and run a scan.  please let me know if there were any special instructions that I may have missed.
The text file is attached as instructed.

Something else new.  When I completed my most recent Avast Scan, I deleted the "virus" files it found same as I've been doing each time.  To date it's just given a green tick with no information and gone on the next step in the Resolving Issues process.
This time I closed the scan window after Step 1 of Resolving Issues (ie resolving virus issues)  When opened the scan again it said, "Resolved Issues: NaN".
Not sure if NaN is the name of an infection?  I've attached a screen shot.

It was my mistake because I forgot to paste link. Sorry.
TDSSKiller didn't find anything so I can say for sure it Avast report. NaN is acronym for "Not a Number" and it is Avast error. Can you try to reinstall Avast?

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Hi, now that you explained the meaning of NaN, I don't think Avast is doing anything wrong.  Rather it was a reflection of the fact that I was trying to delete files that it had already deleted (due to closing and reopening the process)

I've disconnected my PC from the internet as I'm nervous about what's going on.   I'm using a tablet to post this update!  Avast is still finding the same temp files, only now the number seem to have reduced to 35.

I also ran a Rootkit scan from Spybot Search and Destroy.  It found a number of processes etc and I understand these may not necessarily be malware.  To my untrained eye, there is one item that seems a bit odd.

File: "Invisible to Win32", "C:\Boott! s"

I cannot see that file if I browse to C:\
I will attach the complete report.