Author Topic: Viruses in the chest only from backup drives  (Read 2657 times)

REDACTED

Viruses in the chest only from backup drives
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »
I posted this on the wrong forum and am reposting here.

I update two mirror image backups of my Mac Pro (early 2008 running El Capitan) boot drive every night.  When I check the Virus Chest in the mornings, it always has files there, and there are always two copies of each file, one from each of the two backup drives.  There are none from my boot drive.  If they are on the backups, they must be on my boot drive.  Why isn't Avast finding them?

They are always from my Apple Mail attachments folder, so I'm sure they're coming from spam.  I just delete them from the Chest

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Viruses in the chest only from backup drives
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 02:06:27 PM »
Hello,

it is hard to say what is going on. There are multiple potential reasons why the original file is not detected; eg. there is no need to scan files every time they are opened, context of the open is important.

What is annoying is that the detection seems to happen on every backup. The easiest solution for your current problem is to either delete the infected mail from the mailbox, or to add your backup path to File Shield's excluded path. I will add a task to our backlog to prevent this from occurring, however I am not sure if this gets to the next release.

Thank you a lot for informing us about this issue!

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »
I deleted the six files off my boot drive yesterday that Avast has been flagging on my two mirror backup disks.  I do a nightly backup on these drives, and they did not show up in Avast this morning.  That just verifies to me that it isn't checking my boot drive.

As I mentioned, the files were Mail attachments.  The file path to them was very long.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the Virus Chest I had been getting until this morning, in case it might be of help.

And for the record, you need to change the Verification program.  I had to request four new images before I got one I could read.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
And for the record, you need to change the Verification program.  I had to request four new images before I got one I could read.
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0