Author Topic: Master.exe and Slave.exe by Remote-Anything.com  (Read 9068 times)

dancerdog3

Master.exe and Slave.exe by Remote-Anything.com
« on: June 15, 2005, 06:44:34 AM »
 :o
I use Remote-Anything by twd-industries for remote control of several machines.  This is a program that allows remote control, just like PCAnywhere.  I like Remote-Anything because it seems to be a bit more secure.

But....  The executables it uses SLAVE.EXE (for the PC being controlled) and MASTER.EXE (for the computer doing the controlling) are now being caught by Avast! Pro as having Malware Win32:Trojen-gen. {other}. 

I think this is a false positive.  I mean, of course these files can allow somebody to obtain control of your PC.  But, that is what it is supposed to do.

The issue I have is that now I cannot do a remote control session because Avast! Pro will not allow me to open MASTER.EXE.  This really makes the part of my job where I use remote control very difficult.  I provide IT Support for a number of small businesses, and I need a secure remote control application.

Does anybody have a work-around or solutions to this?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Master.exe and Slave.exe by Remote-Anything.com
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 02:40:45 PM »
Submit the files to virus@avast.com in a pasword protected zip. Mention in the body why you think it is a false positive and the password ofcourse.

In the mean time, you can add the files to Avast's exclusion list to avoid them to being detected.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dancerdog3

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 03:33:36 PM »
It is being tagged as Malware becuase it can allow a PC to be remotely controlled.  But, that is the purpose of this application.  It does not open a "Backdoor."  It opens the front door.  This is like PC Anywhere.

I sent the files to Support and wil wait to hear from them.

I can add the files to the Avast exclusion list.  But, the problem is that the SLAVE.EXE needs to be run on the clients PC.  The purpose of this application to to easily and securely provide remote control services.  But, it seems that the "easily" part of that is not so easy.

dancerdog3

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 04:16:50 PM »
It turns out that this is a false alarm.   Avast support was very quick with their reply. ;D

I understand the remote control applications can be problematic.  They are a security issue.  Even 'good' applications can be used for 'bad' purposes.

Here is the reply from support@avast.com

------------begin copy------------------
it was false alarm, sorry for the problem. It will be fixed in the next
virus database update.

--
Regards,

Karel
-----------end copy--------------------

wwolfr

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:17:10 AM »
Hallo,
I think the problem its still there:
http://www.twd-industries.com/archives/remote-trial.zip

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »
I would assume that it is a new problem rather than one from 2005.

So confirmation and submission is advised.

You can also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner I feel virustotal is the better option than Jotti as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently 32 different scanners.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security