Author Topic: Paid for 3-year subscription but still getting spam popups  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Vanguard_LH

Paid for 3-year subscription but still getting spam popups
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »
I just bought 3 years of subscription to Avast Internet Security.  Besides the Ransomware Shield and Firewall, I wanted to get rid of Avast's spam popups trying to lure me to buy their software.  Yes, I know about Silent Mode but that means I don't get alerted when Avast has blocked a suspect web site or other useful alerts.  I just wanted to get rid of their spam popups.

Okay, I bought their software but I still get spam popups, like "Remember to get your 63% discount".  I'm not in the Avast GUI.  These are popups that appear at the lower right corner of the screen while I'm using my computer.  Yes, I have the following options in Avast disabled (unchecked):
  • Show offers for our other products
  • Show offers for 3rd party products
I disabled those options right after installing their payware.  Still I get their spam popups.

I called their tech support who said their payware will continue spewing out their spam popups.  "That's how the product works."  I didn't pay to continue getting nuisanced with their spamware platform.  Very rude to continue spamming their paying customers.

At this point, the only solution appears to be to get a refund on my purchase, go back to Avast Free, and enable Silent mode.  I could enable Silent mode in their payware, too, but I paid to have them SHUT UP.  I'm not paying to revert to using Silent mode in their payware that I can already use in their freeware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Paid for 3-year subscription but still getting spam popups
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:53:49 AM »
First of all I'm an Avast Free user
Did you do a Custom Install and deselect those components you don't want ?
I always do a custom install on a new installation and ensure I have only what I want. See attached image, whilst that is for Avast Free I have highlighted some that could generate offers.

63% discount for what ?
When do your get these

There are some components that aren't free or have a premium version, I would get rid of these and I wouldn't run a Smart Scan the only thing I think that is smart is, it's smart not to run it as that can generate offers.

That said those options that you unchecked should kill that cr4p.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vanguard_LH

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:23:07 AM »
When available, I always do a custom install.  Lots of modules in Avast are fluff or lureware.  I only install the File, Web, and Behavior Shields in the free version.  With the payware version, I added the Ransomware, Firewall, Real Site, Sandbox shields.  I suspect the only way to get rid of their spam popups is to buy EVERY module they sell, like their subscription VPN secureline service.

The popup spam says "Remember your 63% discount" but it does not say for what.  Maybe if I clicked on the button to accept their offer then I'd find out what they were spamming about; however, since I made a purchase and they would have my charge number, I didn't want to take the risk that they would be again impolite by charging me for something I was just trying to see what they were spamming about.

The first popup was within a hour after doing the new payware install.  I imported the backed up settings, went through the product looking at the firewall and ransomware modules, added more paths to the ransomware protection, and just got out to do some work when the spam popup appeared (which obliterates a part of the screen that I needed to get at).  Later that same evening I got another.  Today I got 2 more spam popups but didn't record when or how far apart.  It was after the 4th spam popup that I decided I got ripped off: I paid and yet I was still getting spammed.  Their support tech (in very broken English and lots of background noise), and after suggesting to disable the same options that I had already disabled,  said that's how it is supposed to work insinuating that something that I didn't pay for, like the lureware services (VPNsecure), was causing the spam popups. 

I get the impressions that if you don't buy EVERYTHING they offer then you will continue to get spammed.  Well, hell, that's what I had in their freeware version, too.

There are other anti-ransomware available, like from Acroni, Kaspersky, and BitDefender, so I'll request a refund on what continues to be a spamware platform, go back to Avast Free, enable Silent Mode, and try something else for ransomware protection.  I was disappointed in how Avast's Ransomware shield works.  All it does is restrict access to specified folders.  Well, I can use Window 10's Defender to enable its protected folders to get the same protection.  Avast isn't offering anything that Win10's Defender doesn't have.  Only if you're on an earlier version of Windows does its Defender not that the protected folders feature.  Their firewall is too simplistic and I'll go to Comodo Firewall (and not their Internet Suite with its worthless anti-virus).

So I paid but still ended up with a spam platform.  Their Ransomware module emulates what Defender can do in Windows 10.  Their firewall is okay but then I can use a free firewall for that function.  What did I get by paying?  Nothing different than what I would get with their freeware and combine with other free anti-ransomware and other free firewalls.
I threw them some money but was very disappointed in what I got: nothing better than other freeware and spam popups still showing up.  I'll pursue a refund and combine my own suite of best-of-breed solutions.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »
You can disable the ads in the paid versions: Avast GUI -> Settings -> Privacy
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Vanguard_LH

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
Look at my starting post.  That was already covered.  I even made sure those settings were clearly and distinctly displayed in my starter post.  Pretty hard to miss.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
Did you reboot afterwards..!?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Vanguard_LH

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:04 AM »
I did some reboots last night.  Some today but don't remember order (before or after getting the spam popups).  Also, these are settings to regulate the spam platform (yep, the code they put into their products), not to install a module.  Having to reboot after those changes would be like saying that I need to reboot after bolding some text in a document.  Doesn't make sense, plus the user is never prompted to reboot (but is so prompted when making other major changes).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
Adjust your settings and reboot the system.

Offline Vanguard_LH

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
I'm going to adjust the settings to the same as they are now (which is to have their "offer" settings disabled)?  Oh, I know, then you'll say to change them (enabled), reboot, change them again (disabled), reboot, and then test.  No thanks.  That's a ridiculous troubleshooting scheme just to get their spam platform from puking out popups.  Think about it: these settings are no different than configuring a program to not display a banner on its load.  No rebooting is needed.  The setting affects the behavior of the code with an override.

I've uninstalled Avast Internet Security (using Revo Uninstaller to help get rid of registry and file remnants).  I installed Avast Free and import the settings that I backed up the last time I used the Free version.  I set Avast Free to shut up by using Silent Mode.

As for anti-ransomware, I'll go with Kaspersky's Anti-Ransom for Business.  For a firewall, I'll use Comodo Firewall (without the worthless anti-virus) and use its HIPS feature.  Both are free.  Neither pukes out spam popups.

I requested a refund and just now got confirmation that they will refund my purchase, so I'm not out the money (but will have to wait over a week to make sure).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »
OK, that's up to you.

Offline Vanguard_LH

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
Wow, what a nightmare.  Sure glad I save daily image backups to perform restores: weekly full + daily differentials.  I decided to uninstall Avast Internet Security (AIS).  Avast had refunded the purchase, so I uninstalled to comply with me no longer having a license.

I simply ran its uninstall and rebooted as directed.  Bluescreened.  Tried again.  Bluescreened again.  This was before I could even select the boot menu or try safe mode.  I had a backup after installing AIS, so I restored that.  Got into with no bluescreen.  An uninstall did the bluescreen on reboot again.  I forget what I did but eventually I did manager to get logged into Windows but my D: drive was inaccessible. 

I had told the Ransomware Shield to protect several folders on it.  On the next bluescreen on boot, I restored to the backup image made after AIS has been installed (and all the Ransomware, Firewall, and other tweaks made in AIS).  No bluescreen and I could get at the files on D: - which I immediately copied to a USB-attached HDD.  I went into the Ransomware Shield and removed every folder it was protecting, and then disabled it.  I then one-by-one disabled each component in AIS.  I uninstalled AIS.  Bluescreened on the reboot.  Geesh.  I restored to a backup made a day before AIS got installed.  No bluescreens yet after several reboots.  Files on D: were accessible without having to copy them back from the USB-attached HDD.

So I finally got my system stable again, am back to Avast Free that was on it before, the files are accessible (on D: and I checked the default protected folders on C:) but that backup was over 4 days ago, so I had a lot of re-tweaking to do in the web browsers (that I had apparently changed after installing AIS) and have to check all the other programs have the same tweaks.

I thought AIS with its Ransomware Shield was supposed to eliminate ransomware.  Guess I never figured AIS would itself be ransomware.  I don't how the hell it drilled into my OS to cause bluescreens after running its own uninstaller (which should've removed all protected folders before removing the Ransomware Shield).  Whatever drivers AIS drilled into my OS were still causing problems (bluescreens) after it got uninstalled.  Even when I managed to get Windows loaded, my D: drive was inaccessible: I could see the first-level folders under D: but couldn't navigate into them.

Sure glad I had image backups before AIS got installed.  Without those, I would've been screwed.  Those backups are just for the C: drive.  I have a separate backup that does a file copy into a .zip file for some folders on C: and some on D: (but not all) that gets also gets put on the USB-attached drive and also up to cloud storage.  So I probably could've gotten back the D: files, but restoring to before AIS got installed fixed everything: no bluescreens, no blocking on accessing D: files.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Vanguard_LH

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
I had downloaded and tried the avastclear.exe tool.  That was one of the several iterations of trying to restore usability to my computer.  I didn't mention that attempt because it still failed with a bluescreen on the reboot, so it was a failed attempt for recovery.