Author Topic: Avast is crap. Forcibly restarted computer, causing loss of numerous files.  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Bosco123456

I made the mistake of using your Software Update.

It updated 7Zip, and after it had updated IT TURNED OFF THE COMPUTER WITHOUT PERMISSION, CAUSING ME TO LOSE NUMEROUS NOT YET LABELED FILES.
No permission asked.
7 zip updates do not automatically do this.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!

Everything except your virus scanner is garbage.

I use a VPN, and get a popup telling me everybody can see my computer - False -  and to use your VPN.

The software updater attacks and takes over my computer.

The mobile app is filled with junk.

The trick to using Avast is not let it do anything except virus scan.

Thank you Avast for unnecessarily destroying days of work with your crap software.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:27:32 AM by Bosco123456 »

Offline Bosco123456

So - now that I've calmed down and accepted the loss, and have thought about it more:

What happened was that it went to a light blue screen (NOT the BSOD screen) and said in white type "Updating now" or something very similar.

It looks similar to that when Windows is updating.

I did a System Restore after that, and it took many hours - which makes me think Windows had downloaded files without notifying me or asking permission, and for some reason, after Avast updated 7 Zip, Windows  decided it was time to take over the computer and install/update Windows files.

Windows forced updates the culprit? I've had them wipe out files in the past. But this one happened immediately after Avast had 7 Zip update.

So if my headline is in error, my apologies to Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Unknown Forcibly restarted computer, causing loss of numerous files.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 01:06:50 AM »
You can change the Headline, a.k.a. the topics Subject to one closer to the problem.  Open your first post using the Modify option top right in your post/s and change the topics Subject.  You can also modify content in your post/s using the Modify button in the post/s

Something like "Unknown Forcibly restarted computer, causing loss of numerous files."  As I have done in my post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security