Author Topic: Forgot master password  (Read 4013 times)

Offline ved.dhuru

Forgot master password
« on: December 16, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
Dear Team,

I am not able to sync my devices. I found the email with back up link to self authorize the first device. Tried to enter the master password but is is not working. Help please

Ved D

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Forgot master password
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Hi Ved D,

The Master Password for the backup is set to be the same as you used on the original device that you first synchronized (back in 2016). I'm afraid that the Master Password cannot be reset or retrieved. This is a security measure to prevent any unauthorized access; because this one password protects all other passwords that you have saved, it is critical that it is not compromised. Any passwords you have saved in the cloud for this synchronization group are encrypted with this password, and I'm afraid that if you have lost or forgotten the Master Password then those passwords cannot be decrypted and are no longer accessible.

If you cannot recall the Master Password you used on your first synchronized device, I can arrange for the currently synchronized data to be deleted. This means that the passwords saved in the cloud will be gone, but you will be able to setup the synchronization on your devices again as if you were a new user. If you wish this to be done, please confirm that you are aware that you will lose access to any passwords saved in the cloud, and that you authorize me to delete the data.

Offline ved.dhuru

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
This is fine, please go ahead.

Offline sanadell

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
Hi Ved D,

The Master Password for the backup is set to be the same as you used on the original device that you first synchronized (back in 2016). I'm afraid that the Master Password cannot be reset or retrieved. This is a security measure to prevent any unauthorized access; because this one password protects all other passwords that you have saved, it is critical that it is not compromised. Any passwords you have saved in the cloud for this synchronization group are encrypted with this password, and I'm afraid that if you have lost or forgotten the Master Password then those passwords cannot be decrypted and are no longer accessible.

If you cannot recall the Master Password you used on your first synchronized device, I can arrange for the currently synchronized data to be deleted. This means that the passwords saved in the cloud will be gone, but you will be able to setup the synchronization on your devices again as if you were a new user. If you wish this to be done, please confirm that you are aware that you will lose access to any passwords saved in the cloud, and that you authorize me to delete the data.

Even I'm facing the same problem. I couldn't find any option to setup new vault in settings. Can you all briefly let me know the procedure for resetting the vault.

Offline ved.dhuru

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Dear Team,

My email ID is    Any other info required? this is a bit urgent.

Ved
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:51:42 PM by BWhit »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »
@ ved.dhuru
Sorry I can't help with the password issue as I'm an Avast user like you and I don't use the Avast Passwords function.

Have you tried what is suggested in the https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/Passwords-FAQ 'Other Questions and Troubleshooting' section' ?

I suggest that you remove your email address from your post in a publicly available forum, it could be harvested by a spam bot.  If you are using the same email for your Avast forum, then Avast Team members should have access to that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to this thread.

If you have forgotten the Master Password and you have the locked Passwords screen open: click the Settings link in the top right corner > click the "Reset Avast Passwords and delete my data" link > click "Confirm" on the warning pop-up. The vault will be deleted (including any saved logins), and you will be able to start again. Please see this support article for more detailed instructions and screenshots: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/163/

@ ved.dhuru
I can confirm that your synchronization group has now been deleted and you can synchronize your devices again according to the instructions in this guide: https://support.avast.com/article/255/ I have removed your email address from your post for the reason DavidR gave.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:52:23 PM by BWhit »