Author Topic: Lost all my passwords  (Read 2013 times)

REDACTED

Lost all my passwords
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
Hi,

I am using Avast Passwords for 1 year and I stock all my passwords in it. Yesterday, I reset my computer. So I download Avast, connect to my account and I don't find my passwords. I tried to "import" but it doesn't work. It's very annoying. :// Can someone help me?

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Lost all my passwords
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
Hi p.louistrotin,

I'm afraid that your encrypted passwords are stored locally on your hard drive, and if you have reset Windows 10, you will not be able to recover the passwords as the passwords vault will have been either deleted or moved. If the Passwords folder is moved, and the application reinstalled, then it is no longer possible for Passwords to decrypt the vault (as the Passwords decryption key will have changed since before the reset).

Your passwords can be recovered if they have been backed up to our cloud service, but this is only done as part of the synchronization function (as described here: https://support.avast.com/article/255/). When you set up synchronization, a 'synchronization group' is created against you email address. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I cannot find a back-up of your passwords associated with the email you have registered with on this forum. I'm sorry, but unless you synchronized under another Avast account, we cannot help you to recover your saved passwords.