Author Topic: Outlook Express rejects user name..Help  (Read 3698 times)

skyace

Outlook Express rejects user name..Help
« on: January 10, 2004, 12:01:02 AM »
Sure can use your help?

Just removed Norton antivirus from my computer and installed Avast 4 Home. It seems to be doing part of the job except I can no longer download my mail from my server using Outlook Express.  See error message shown below..  No doubt the user name is the culprit since I know my password is correct.  The Avast server is 127.0.01.  My actual server is pop6.sympatico.ca. My user name is S2004.  Can someone tell me what should be entered in the user name section. My user name which was added to Outlook Express by the Avast configuration is S2004#127.0.0.1 and it will not get my mail.  HELP PLEASE I need to be led in the right direction.

ERROR MESSAGE Outlook Express
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop6.sympatico.ca', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid user name or password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Thanks
Larry

magicmama

Re:Outlook Express rejects user name..Help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 12:25:29 AM »
I'm also having problems with the email scanner!! I cannot download mail into my email program (IncredimailXE), I thought I must have installed it wrong, but it seems I'm not the only one. I have tried returning all the settings to the original ones I put in, then closing Incredimail & disabling the scanner. I have then run the wizard and restarted the scanner, but I still cannot download mail.  I have used avast for a while, and it used to work fine, but since I had to re-install the email scanner part of the program does not work.  :'(  Really hope someone can come up with a fix!

John-

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 12:41:20 AM »
I used to have the same error the first time i used Avast!
I forgot to close Outlook Express  :(

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: you should close outlook express
before running the mail wizard, otherwise you get those errors.

the wizards sets your smtp en pop3 servers to 127.0.0.1 (local host,...if i am not mistaken)

The safest thing to do is remove the the mailsecurity with the wizard. Make sure outlook express is  closed and then restart the wizard.
If it then fails again,...re-enter your pop3 account (delete the previous one) and restart the wizard with outlook closed.

In my opinion it should work perfectly,...had no complaints afterwards.

skyace

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 12:52:05 AM »
PROBLEM SOLVEDWhat a great forum.. I received two replies after only a few minutes.  Thanks to Magicmama and John.  

Thanks to all.  I solved the problem minutes after posting. Geeezzz! I fooled aroud for hours.  An explanation of sorts is shown below.  It seems others are having somewhat the same problem, albeit with different software

Thanks for the fast reply Magicmama.  Believe it or not I solved the user name problem as soon as I wrote the forum message. I am not sure if this explanation will help Magicmama but here it is:  

In Outlook Express my main  server user name (S2004) is written first  then the hash sign (#) followed my main servers name.  Like this: S2004#pop6.sympatico.ca.  For some reason the Avast configuration incorrectly ended the name with their IMAP name, like this: S2004#127.0.0.1 .

Good Luck
Larry

John-

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 11:03:06 AM »
No problem, that is what the forum is for  ;D ...helping people :)
Enjoy using Avast!  ;)

For the developpers.

Should it be a good thing to add a warning message if you use the wizard that displays that Outlook is still open?
Or that it closes outlook by itself?
This can avoid this problem in future i think :)

greetz
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:20:23 AM by EverlastingGaze »