Author Topic: Can't start webshield...  (Read 5142 times)

GadeTerbob

Can't start webshield...
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:53:11 PM »
Can't find aswWebSv.exe.

I've read the faq: http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html and manually added ashWebSv.exe to ZoneAlarm's program control. However...

aswWebSv.exe is not in the avast4 directory. I ran the install routine (without uninstalling) and it is still not there.

Part of the problem with webshield "waiting for subsystem to start" *might* be that I'm using 192.168.0.1:87 for a proxy for the satellite modem and I'm not sure where to make that change in the avast settings.

Thanks!! Been using avast for about 2 years now and am quite pleased with an excellent product!

Edited to delete: OBTW: Where is the "subscribe to this thread" button?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:55:33 PM by GadeTerbob »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't start webshield...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
The error "waiting for subsystem to start" might be because the web shield file ashWebSv.exe is missing (I assume your aswWebSv.exe is a typo) ?
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

You might need to add the proxy to those that web shield monitors (usually only port 80 is monitored) by adding ,87 to the Redirected HTTP port(s) and possibly the Ignore local communication, because traffic between the two proxies is local. Sorry I'm not sure here as I don't use a network let alone a satellite modem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GadeTerbob

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 11:42:45 PM »
Umm....don't think I have a typo. Or does that slash / mean either/or? Here is quote from above faq:

Q: After updating to version 4.6 my firewall warns me that “avast Web Scanner” (ashWebSv.exe) is trying to access the Internet. Is this correct?

....If your firewall protects local communication you must also grant Web Shield process (ashWebSv.exe / aswWebSv.exe) the right to act as a server and accept incoming connection on port 12080.

And I wish to (insert your higher authority here) I didn't have to use a sat connection. At it's best, it's not as good as dsl; at it's worst, it's worse than dial up!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:02:35 AM »
In the quote I think the / is an either or option.

In my version of avast home, there is no aswWebSv.exe, but there is an ashWebSv.exe, unless this is a language variation, I don't know.

Did you try a repair ?

For my sins I'm on dial-up a little too far from the exchange to get reasonable/consistent connection (9.5 KM of copper cable).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:41:29 AM »
Generally, ash* files are used in the Home/Professional Editions of avast, while the asw* variants are used by the network (ADNM-enabled) editions.

So, in your case, it would be ashWebSv.exe.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:49:36 AM »
Part of the problem with webshield "waiting for subsystem to start" *might* be that I'm using 192.168.0.1:87 for a proxy for the satellite modem and I'm not sure where to make that change in the avast settings.

You are running your own proxy server at that IP/port?

GadeTerbob

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 04:57:47 AM »
Eddy: Yes, the HughesNet Modem is a proxy server at that location.

Success!!
I ran Control Panel >> Add Remove Software >> Avast. I unticked the box by Web Shield, hit Make Changes and rebooted. When I ran the install routine earlier, I didn't make any changes. After rebooting, went back in and ticked the box to add Web Shield. Rebooted, and even as we speak; it is cooking nicely.

Thanks for your time and attention!!!