Author Topic: avast android app doesn't update  (Read 13766 times)

Offline sarah2000

avast android app doesn't update
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
I bought my first android phone today (I got fed up with Apple). I have avast on my laptop (which is running Windows 10), and I wanted to have the same antivirus on my samsung phone. I installed the app, but when I try to "update the virus definitions", it doesn't work. I always get an error message. Any ideas/solutions?

Offline haggisfarmer2

Re: avast android app doesn't update
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
Exactly the same problem here... the last virus definition update was the 13th of December.

Offline Michael Noisternig

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
Also here, no update since today... :'(

Offline PaoVac

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 12:54:29 PM »
I have the same problem today, definitions are updated on 13 december and update doesn't work...

Offline PaoVac

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
Fixed now!

Offline sarah2000

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
did anyone find a solution?

Offline haggisfarmer2

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »
My virus definitions are now up to date.... 27th Dec   :)

Offline sarah2000

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »
@haggisfarmer2 that's cool! But I'm assumming that you stopped getting the updates temporarily and now you have them back. In my case, I installed the app and never got a single update due to a "vps download error".

Any ideas?

-Sarah

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
Hi, there has been a VPS update issue, the team is working on a fix, coming soon. The definitions are actually up-to-date, but with a wrong date.

Offline sarah2000

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 11:39:12 PM »
Hi Tereza,

Thank you for getting back to me!

I have a question: Will the fix to the "VPS update error" be part of a "new version" of the Avast app or will it be an "invisible fix" that we can't check on the Play Store?

I'm asking this because I installed another antivirus due to the VPS problem that Avast currently has. However, I love Avast and I will certainly install it again when its VPS issue is fixed, and it's important to know if there will be any way to confirm that the issue has been solved.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
Actually both :) By releasing new “heavy” VPS, users will download VPS with proper date and it will fix it for them for a few days. But, in the new app version, we will fix the issue in general, so even updating “light” VPS will set proper VPS date and the bug will not appear.

Offline Calum10

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
I am also suffering this problem - I am on android Samsung Galaxy S8 and am unable to get updates or seemingly able to connect to get the updates.
When are we going to get a fix for this issue?

Offline Calum10

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:05:12 PM »
I am also suffering this problem - I am on android Samsung Galaxy S8 and am unable to get updates or seemingly able to connect to get the updates.
When are we going to get a fix for this issue?

Do Avast realise this Date issue may be affecting more of the Avast software - because when I initially tried to log-in to this forum with the standard security challenge,part of which is answering which year this is and upon replying 2019 - this answer was NOT accepted! so I typed in 2018 instead and I was allowed to post to this forum! clearly that is wrong.....so come on Avast is there a bigger issue going on that you are not telling us about?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:06:50 PM by Calum10 »

Offline sarah2000

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 04:37:01 AM »
Dear Tereza,

Thank you very much for letting me know.

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to online security, and to be honest, "heavy VPS to solve the problem for a few days" still sounds like a broken app to me (No offense). I prefer to wait for the new version of the app.

In the meantime, I will continue to use the other antivirus that I currently have on my phone, and every week I will keep checking the Play Store to see if the new version has arrived. When the new version is available, I will definitely uninstall this antivirus and I will try Avast again.

I look forward to getting the new Avast version soon! Thank you for your time and consideration to my messages!

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
@Calum10: Thanks for pointing this out, I will try to reach the forum admin to have a look at it. But technically, the forum has very nothing in common with the actual app or other products, so I can assure you there is no big issue going on.

@sarah2000: I believe the VPS with correct date was applied yesterday, which means the definitions are not only up-do-date, but also show correct date. The new version will only make sure it doesn't happen again, but let me repeat that the definitions have been up-to-date (and users fully protected) all the time. New version coming soon, looking forward to having you back then ;)