Author Topic: IDP.ALEXA.51 detected when uninstalling Firefox  (Read 1617 times)

Offline electricrook

IDP.ALEXA.51 detected when uninstalling Firefox
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:39:41 AM »
While I was uninstalling Mozilla Firefox, Avast alerted me that Un_A.exe tested positive for IDP.ALEXA.51 and was moved to the Virus Chest.  This file appears to be part of the Firefox uninstallation process.  When it tried to restore it from the Virus Chest in order to submit it to VirusTotal, to my surprise avast restored 12 other files along with it.  These were 3 registry files and 9 application shortcuts.  Scanning all these files using Avast including Un_A.exe has produced no malware detection and VirusTotal has also found Un_A.exe to be clean.  I have also compared the checksums of Un_A.exe to that of a freshly downloaded copy of Firefox and found that they matched.  I then ran a full system boot scan that detected zero threats.  Finally, I checked all the other files restored from the Virus Chest for alternate data streams and found that they had none. 

While I  have found very differing reports on what IDP.ALEXA.51 does,  I have so far not found a detailed write up on the files or registry keys it affects.  I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what might be happening here.  I am running Avast version 18.8.2356.