Author Topic: Web Shield for Chrome & more details in Activity Log to confirm deleted virus?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline crisparkleopossum

When browsing a website in chrome, I got an alert that I thought and trusted was Avast. It seems there somehow was a file (Unconfirmed935237.crdownload) downloaded to my Android advice just from accessing a webpage. I hastily clicked the option to fix it and it seemed to have worked. I was scared it was a fake popup and foolishly didn't screenshot it because I was scared as this has never happened to me in my years of browsing the Internet on my Android.

When I go in the Avast the file does show up in my activity log as "1 problem found!", so I am assuming it was a legitimate alert, but I'm unable to click on it for more details to confirm the malware/virus was deleted. Is there a way to do this?

When I check my download folder it does not appear there, and I've done multiple scans and my phone seems okay. Should I be worried? Is there something extra other than Avast I could use to be sure? A Google search showed that some of those "Unconfirmed#.crdownload" files contain highly dangerous trojans, but I've only seen it pertaining to PCs, not Androids. I am debating whether or not to fully wipe my Android to start fresh. I have a Galaxy Note 8.

Thank you for the help!

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
A CRDOWNLOAD file extension is a used by Google Chrome browser. When you download a file using Google Chrome then you might have noticed this file extension while Google Chrome downloads a file. This unconfirmed CRDOWNLOAD file is a file created by Google Chrome during downloading process. For example, if you are downloading large image file then its file extension will be pic.gif or pic.jpg etc. But sometimes due to some software or hardware issues, the process of download may fail and a partial or incomplete file with extension CRDownload is created in download destination folder. Even sometimes user stop or cancel the download process in the middle of downloading of files.
If the additional scan has not revealed anything, you are safe, no worries. Even if anything downloaded, it wouldn't be able to install and open by itself.

Offline crisparkleopossum

What a relief! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this to me in-depth, I was very concerned. Hope you have a great weekend!