Author Topic: Disabling avast  (Read 8143 times)

Kentish

Disabling avast
« on: January 16, 2004, 06:52:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me how I can fully disable Avast home to be only an on- demand scanner. I have removed it from the startup list, but it still continues to run in the process list of running apps which I dont want.
I already have a continuous running AV in NOD32, so I dont need Avast to be running as well, just as an on-demand backup/second opinion.

Anyone able to help?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Disabling avast
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »
What is your OS? What did you remove?

Kentish

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 09:38:47 PM »
I,m running XP home, but I cant remember the registry entry in the start up list I removed. I do know it was the start up entry for Avast, as now it doesnt all run, and the icon isnt there at boot up, but if you double click on Avast the program will run. But, it is still running in the process list.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »
Why do you want nod instead of avast?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 03:03:23 AM »
Why do you want nod instead of avast?

I'm asking the same  ;D

Anyway, If you want a 'backup' scanner I suggest you install just the 'Stardard Shield' provider, boot, 'disable' it (make the changes permanent when asked so). If you want to hide the system tray icon, please read a little here (section [AAVM]).
The best things in life are free.

Kentish

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 02:08:22 PM »
I want to use Nod32 because I feel it is lighter on my system resources, has a better feel to it, scans quicker, and just has a more polished appearance.
Ok, so it is a pay for product, but I like a paid for product and free one as well to back up.

Now if I do as suggested, will Avast have components running as shown in my list of processes running as now although i have disabled the auto start?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 02:09:54 PM »
In addition to the advice given above, set the startup mode of the 'avast antivirus' service to Manual (instead of the default Automatic).

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 05:27:03 PM »
Thanks Vlk, I forgot this obvious and necessary thing  ::)

Kentish  :'(, avast! is much more than a simple 'backup' scanner...
What do you mean with more polished appearance?  ;)

Kentish

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 05:33:16 PM »
Thanks Vlk I had forgotten about that procedure, and now its  sorted.

Technical, I assume you jest? I admit Avast home is a free product, but on the appearance front its way behind Nod, and I would also hope its pay for brother.
Sometimes a slick appearance can help ones impression of a product, rather than looking dour and drab.
Having said that, the main thing against Avast for me is its speed of scans being so slow.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 05:52:16 PM »
Thanks Vlk I had forgotten about that procedure, and now its  sorted.

Technical, I assume you jest? I admit Avast home is a free product, but on the appearance front its way behind Nod, and I would also hope its pay for brother.
Sometimes a slick appearance can help ones impression of a product, rather than looking dour and drab.
Having said that, the main thing against Avast for me is its speed of scans being so slow.

I'm not jestting...
You can compare the speed of scanning of two av if you are absolutelly sure they are scanning the same: same files, same open applications, same sensibility (normal, deep, through, etc.)  8)

Kentish

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 05:59:17 PM »
I run both at their strongest detection abilities, back to back checks and under the same conditions.

Nod does the scan in less then half the time. The results have been the same, and I have even compared them to the Trend Housecall on-line test as well (the results that is).

I can appreciate your love and defence of Avast this is after all the Avast forums, however Avast is only a back-up and on-demand scanner for me as Nod is the product of choice for me as my main reliance against virus etc.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 06:11:14 PM »
Nod32 is not that bad on detection rates. If you want to use avast as a backup scanner thats ok mabye it will find a virus Nod misses ;D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Kentish

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 06:45:29 PM »
Maybe maybe. You never know, but I am more than happy to use Avast to back me up.

Who knows, it may be that Avast proves the better over time, especially if the scan times and resource eating can be reduced.

Anyway cheers for your help guys.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 07:39:39 PM »
Maybe maybe. You never know, but I am more than happy to use Avast to back me up.

Who knows, it may be that Avast proves the better over time, especially if the scan times and resource eating can be reduced.

Anyway cheers for your help guys.

You're wellcome to forums  ;)
Sorry my fanatism  ;D

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 07:40:26 PM »
with every new version the RAM footprint is reduced and over time im sure scann speed will improve too  ;)