Author Topic: Mozilla Thunderbird  (Read 7619 times)

putty

Mozilla Thunderbird
« on: January 10, 2004, 02:48:17 PM »
Hello,  I was wondering if Avast home's mail protection can be used with Mozilla's Thunderbird?  And how would I set it up?

With Thanks

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Mozilla Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 04:38:30 PM »
welcome to the forum.. ;D
you may set the server name to 127.0.0.1 and the user name to you_username#ISP_mailserver

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 04:42:23 PM by minacross »
MW

putty

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 12:22:50 PM »
Thanks I will try this..

sandman08

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 08:30:42 AM »
welcome to the forum.. ;D
you may set the server name to 127.0.0.1 and the user name to you_username#ISP_mailserver

i followed the instructions given for setting up the protection manually but now i cant send or rec email using thunderbird.. i had to mess around w/ thunderbird to begin with to get it working because of microsofts insistance on MS only products to access hotmail so i have hotmail popper running at the same time and the ports are different.. would those have to be accounted for in setting up avast as well? and if so.. how would i go about doing that?

i guess the best way to ask this is if my current email addresses in thunderbird are joeblow@hotmail.com (pop) and joeblow@uoft.ca (imap) which have incoming servers set to localhost and mail.uoft.ca respectively, with an SMTP of blahmail.to.blahcable.net .. what would all the corresponding settings within thunderbird and avast be?
i may have made a mistake when i did it but im not sure lol..

the changes or settings i  made to the avast.ini file are:

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=localhost
DefaultSmtpServer=blahmail.to.blahcable.net
DefaultImapServer=mail.uoft.ca
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=1
AutoSetProtection=0

in thunderbird i have the following setup now:

for the hotmail acct:

server name: 127.0.0.1  port: 11110
username: joeblow#localhost

for my uni based acct (imap):

server name: 127.0.0.1 port 993
username: joeblow#mail.uoft.ca

and finally the smtp is set to:
server name: 127.0.0.1 port 25
user name: #blahmail.to.blahcable.net

it could very well be due to hotmail popper or something thats causing my problems and if so, i guess i'd have to change the ports in.. umm.. where? lol. im quite confused with all of this but i definately want to stick with avast for my anti-virus needs and TB for my emailing needs..  so any help in this manner would definately be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »
for the hotmail acct:
- this is a little bit complicated due to hotmail popper

server name: 127.0.0.1  port: 110
username: joeblow#localhost:11110

- this uses SSL, it cannot be used with avast mail scanner; without SSL it is

server name: 127.0.0.1 port 143

- it is OK

[MailScanner]
- change UseDefaultSmtp:
UseDefaultSmtp=0

sandman08

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 11:43:57 AM »
for the hotmail acct:
- this is a little bit complicated due to hotmail popper

server name: 127.0.0.1  port: 110
username: joeblow#localhost:11110

- this uses SSL, it cannot be used with avast mail scanner; without SSL it is

server name: 127.0.0.1 port 143

- it is OK

[MailScanner]
- change UseDefaultSmtp:
UseDefaultSmtp=0

the imap wont work w/o SSL but as far as ive been told the uni itself does scan those emails before they receive them so im sure i'll be save from those, the hotmail however is still a problem, when i set it the way you mentioned it says "127.0.0.1 could not be reached. The connection is refused"

also when i try to send with these settings it asks for my password for the smtp server which i dont  have.. and then refuses to send anything (for my uni account which can now receive atleast)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 03:06:13 PM »
the imap wont work w/o SSL but as far as ive been told the uni itself does scan those emails before they receive them so im sure i'll be save from those, the hotmail however is still a problem, when i set it the way you mentioned it says "127.0.0.1 could not be reached. The connection is refused"

check if
1) the process ashMaiSv.exe is running
2) you did not set PopListen item in avast4.ini
3) port is set to 110 in the account

also when i try to send with these settings it asks for my password for the smtp server which i dont  have.. and then refuses to send anything (for my uni account which can now receive atleast)

It should work with an arbitrary password, the authentication serves the only purpose - to send the server address from a mail program to avast (in the username field)

sandman08

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 08:52:33 PM »

check if
1) the process ashMaiSv.exe is running
2) you did not set PopListen item in avast4.ini
3) port is set to 110 in the account

1) ashMaisv.exe isnt running
2) what do i set the poplisten items to?
3) which account are you referring to? in thunderbird its set as i mentioned above unless you meant somewhere else

It should work with an arbitrary password, the authentication serves the only purpose - to send the server address from a mail program to avast (in the username field)

i tried it with an arbitrary p/w and the same thing still happens
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:54:13 PM by sandman08 »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 09:27:45 AM »
1) Start the Mail Protection Wizard (menu Start->Programs->avast! Antivirus), it will launch the mail scanner (ashMaiSv.exe) and schedule its autostart at every logon.
2),3) forget about it, (1) was the cause

After you proceed the wizard, you will probably get an error "port 25 already in use". Insert this line
SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:26
to avast4.ini under [MailScanner] and change the SMTP port to 26 in your Thunderbird mail account.

sandman08

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 05:43:25 PM »
all of that is now set as well but now i get a new error msg lol
i put in an arbitrary p/w for 127.0.0.1 like you said and now i get the error msg saying "sending of password did not succeed. mail server 127.0.0.1 responded: invalid username or password specified."
oh and sending does indeed work now (for my uni account atleast)
which im grateful for lol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 05:44:46 PM by sandman08 »

sandman08

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 08:36:10 PM »
all of that is now set as well but now i get a new error msg lol
i put in an arbitrary p/w for 127.0.0.1 like you said and now i get the error msg saying "sending of password did not succeed. mail server 127.0.0.1 responded: invalid username or password specified."
oh and sending does indeed work now (for my uni account atleast)
which im grateful for lol

ignore that post
im just obscenely stupid when i lack sleep  ::)
it asked for my hotmail password.. i thought it was asking for the one for the server and i put in an arbitrary one.. i didnt realize that "MIGHT" be the case till now of course.. (oddly enough i think im more tired now then before) but all appears to be working well :)

thank you very much for your help and patience thru this :)

Tsip

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 06:04:50 PM »
I have followed the instruction on this post and although i have managed to set avast correct for the smtp and the scanning of outbound msgs is ok.....i cant seem to fix my pop servers accordigly.....i have a hotmail account and a tiscali pop3.....i too use hotmail popper on 110 and so avast notifies me that the port is in use blablabla.....i tried to set avast to listen port 111 but then again doesnt scan any inbound msgs....

thunderbird
hotmaill 127.0.0.1  110
tiscali pop.tiscali.co.uk 110

DefaultSmtpServer=127.0.0.1
DefaultPopServer=localhost
SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:26
PopListen=127.0.0.1:110
UseDefaultSmtp=0
ShowTrayIcon=1
AutoSetProtection=0

thanks for any help......