Author Topic: BSOD DUE TO ASWBIDDRIVER.SYS give the fix  (Read 19184 times)

Offline jraju

• Poster
BSOD DUE TO ASWBIDDRIVER.SYS give the fix
« on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
Hi, Of late for a few days, my pc hang at every startup. The mouse would also vanish.
i checked memory and sfc no errors.
i also did chkdsk /r.
I had three times BSOD and the log read by nisrsot, pointed to aswbidsdriver.sys on all the three occasions.
Is this a recent things.
i have enabled auto update and so my present version is the latest version of the program.
Then why this happens, and what is the fix for it.
i am having windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: BSOD DUE TO ASWBIDDRIVER.SYS give the fix
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
Follow instructions: https://support.avast.com/article/33/ and post your File-ID here afterwards.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:12:59 AM »
Hi, Asyn,
I want to clarify with you one thing before raising the ticket
Could the BSOD would result exclusively by the said avast driver
Or is it a indication that avast shows this alert of any other program.
I raise this query, because , when i checked misconfig and startup tab, after hiding msoft , besides avast and my trusted programs, there was a new entry
called WC assistant by lavasoft
i had not downloaded anything from Lavasoft
I just unchecked the program there , and also found the same program in program and features in control panel. I tried uninstalling it. I got a yellow triangle and ok box.
I noticed that it is weird and so, downloaded the revo uninstaller.
When i use revo uninstaller, then scanned, it shows some inside entries in registry and computer locations, and i selected all to delete.
I am using revo free edition
Then on the next reboot, i found the system boots normally without any hiccups, except, tje cursor just there at the centre of the desktop without moving.
on next reboot, i could log on normally
My crux of the query, would the avast driver become the cause of BSOD for some other program other than AVast.
Would this WC assistant, be the cause of the freeze and BSOD
because before this , the computer would boot with startup repair and then end iwith looping or sometimes alert to opt for system restore to get the normal boot.
I just thought of checking the BSOD log and it shows, the cause is AVAst avastbidsdriver.sys

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:45:46 AM »
To answer your questions, the devs would need your logs.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
Yes, I believe IDP developers would need to see the .dmp file in question.
Btw, did you intentionally enable Driver Verifier on your machine? That's a Microsoft driver verification tool... it checks for various (possibly even kinda unimportant) issues happening - and if it detects something it doesn't like, it causes a BSoD (so that a dump is created or a debugger it notified if one is connected).

In other words, I can't say whether there's a bug in aswbidsdriver.sys (the .dmp file would be needed to say that), but it's quite likely that if you didn't have Driver Verifier enabled, nothing would happen.

Offline azzaroc

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
I have the same problem with Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit crashing with an BSOD since update to the latest AVAST version 19.1.2360. I'm using an Thinkpad T60 and the problem can be reproduced by connecting an secondary monitor via DVI cable causing an BSOD immediately.

NirSoft BluescreenView Points to aswbidsdriver.sys

aswbidsdriver.sys   aswbidsdriver.sys+2823624c   0x8bc7b000   0x8bca8000   0x0002d000   0x5c0a6d51
atikmdag.sys   atikmdag.sys+1ec85070   0x9522d000   0x958ce000   0x006a1000   0x45ccea6f
cdd.dll   cdd.dll+316b3ab4   0x82800000   0x8281e000   0x0001e000   0x5b946c95
dxgkrnl.sys   dxgkrnl.sys+1e5e55dc   0x958ce000   0x95986000   0x000b8000   0x5b94664d
ntoskrnl.exe   ntoskrnl.exe+306759a0   0x8383c000   0x83c64000   0x00428000   0x5be855d0

I would attach a dmp file, if somebody tells me how ...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:55:53 PM by azzaroc »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
Below the box you write in see  >>  Attachments and other options

also see/click link posted above by @Asyn

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:49:07 PM by Pondus »

Offline azzaroc

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
Below the box you write in see  >>  Attachments and other options

also see/click link posted above by @Asyn

Thanks, renamed it to *.dmp.gif, otherwise it won't allow upload

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »
Hi azzaroc,
Just zip the dump file as azzaroc_bsod_7_1_2018.zip and upload on ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/ 
Thank you

Offline azzaroc

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Hi azzaroc,
Just zip the dump file as azzaroc_bsod_7_1_2018.zip and upload on ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/ 
Thank you
FTP upload was done ... Thanks

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
Hi jraju,
can you also upload your dump file for analysis the picture you attached pointed to bad handle usage but  azzaroc's dump is about stack overflow.
Thank you !

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 02:29:45 AM »
Hi,igur,
Your point is correct.
In order to fix the driver, i googled it and found an article to uses windows tool verifier . i just enabnled it and ofcourse, this produces the said BSOD on all the three times, as in the log.
Do you mean to say that the BSOD is purposely created by the verifier to give the logs, or in otherwords, bsod is a created one by the verifiere tool.
My other query is : even assuming that the tool creates the log, it should be presumed that it gives the avastsbids driver.sys as a kind of bug driver.
I also wish to state that the problem of system hangs on the next reboot after i remove the lavasoft adaware by webcompanisans.com is gone. i have to verify still further about, it being the cause for sure. i am sending reply from the other laptop.
I have not been receiving email alerts, for all the post in my inbox from avast, even when i enabled to get the email replies. why
i also know the adaware is a PuP. Would it cause this kind of mouse vansihing and windows hanging and freezing in the start screen itself.
i want your detailed reply on the points i raised.
My query is even assuming that the said adaware PuP is supposed to cause the hang on, why the verifier puts avastbidsdriver'sys as the problematic driver capable of causing BSOD.i VISITED this page after not getting any response in my inbox the replies alerts.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 02:36:43 AM »
Hi, azzaroc, did you receive any reply from avast team. Sometimes, they reply to the individual concerned.
What i mean is avast staff could check the avastbidsdriver.sys behaviour with the logs that would produce in their system. Verifier,if produces BSOD on avast driver, they  could themselve see the logs for forwarding to avast team.
Why cannot they use the verifier tool  and see the logs themselves.
Please see my query: i asked any third party programs could cause the BSOD using avastbidsdriver.sys. there is no answer to that query
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:38:57 AM by jraju »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »
Do you mean to say that the BSOD is purposely created by the verifier to give the logs, or in otherwords, bsod is a created one by the verifiere tool.

Yes, that is exactly the case.

My other query is : even assuming that the tool creates the log, it should be presumed that it gives the avastsbids driver.sys as a kind of bug driver.

There could be a bug, sure. On the other hand, the bug may be so tiny (without any actual effects on the system) that it really wouldn't cause any malfunction - without verifier enabled. Impossible to say without the corresponding dump.

What i mean is avast staff could check the avastbidsdriver.sys behaviour with the logs that would produce in their system. Verifier,if produces BSOD on avast driver, they  could themselve see the logs for forwarding to avast team.

The dump from azzaroc is not related to your issue, it's (almost certainly) a different problem (caused by big stack usage - partly by ATI drivers, partly by Avast - which, in sum, goes too high).

Why cannot they use the verifier tool  and see the logs themselves.

It's not that easy - the specific condition where the driver verifier detects the bug may depend on other drivers you have in the system, versions of software, configuration...

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:06 AM »
Hi jraju,
driver verifier is standard tool used and provided by microsoft to test device drivers (their own and also third party drivers). We use it for development and also for testing but it is not recommended to have it enabled on common pc's without knowing what it does. For more details see (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier)
Whenever driver verifier finds some kind of bug/error/warning it crashes your PC to create memory dump !

Here is description of your issue :
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xc4--driver-verifier-detected-violation

0xF6 (Windows 7 operating systems and later)   Handle value being referenced   Address of the current process   Address inside the driver that performs the incorrect reference   A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode.

Your dump is still worth for us !