Author Topic: Latest Avast update has broken my computer - BSOD from aswRvrt.sys  (Read 1925 times)

Offline will.prentice

Hi

It seems a lot of people have had issues with Avast and avwRvrt.sys preventing their system from working. I was using my laptop ok until an Avast update on January 7 - then when I tried to reboot I got stuck in a BSOD/Recovery loop. I get this error code: 0xc000007b

I contacted our IT department work, and after much swearing by both sides, I had to reinstall Windows. Which means all my apps have to be reinstalled ... meaning Avast will NOT get installed again and I won't be recommending it.

Frankly, considering how many years people have been having the same problem and how many messages on here for the same issue don't get replied to, Avast ranks as malware IMO.
Will
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:18:16 AM by will.prentice »

Offline Maxim101

I had the same problem with error code 0xc000007b and driver aswRvrt.sys .

I managed to solve this problem as follows:
- go to Windows recovery options, and then choose Command Prompt;
- go to the folder where this driver is located and rename it into anything else, for example 1aswRvrt.sys

\Windows\System32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys

- reboot your computer, now Windows should start OK
- once Windows has started, let it run for several minutes because Avast will try to repair itself and restore the driver that we renamed earlier
- now you can uninstall Avast