Author Topic: Avast Scan gets stuck on 66% forever....  (Read 2756 times)

Offline ulrichburke2

Avast Scan gets stuck on 66% forever....
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:56:40 AM »
Dear Everyone.

OK, I'm on Windows XP. I have to be because of my disability software, it doesn't like emulation mode in 7 or any other windows and I can't afford to buy it all over again for Windows 10. I'd prob. have to buy a whole new computer anyway if I did that.  Anyway.

Avast was working great till I got some kinda redirect virus. The virus hijacked a file called HOST and redirected it towards its own servers.  I didn't realise that at first and started XP in safe mode, tried to use Avast to scan it IN safe mode and Avast flat wouldn't fire up, the interface wouldn't start.  Sorry to mention the competition, but tried Malwarebytes because that was the only one that WOULD fire up and that told me my computer was clean which it obviously wasn't. Found out after a day of searching that the HOST file can be hijacked easily to send the system to different mainframes, found a list of mainframes in it, deleted them and thus far it's been running fine. 

Thought I'd do a scan with Avast to make sure everything was OK again but it's been stuck on 66% for about 7-8 hours now and I don't really know what to do.  Is it safe to restart the computer and try again with it, or does the fact it's stuck mean there's still a nasty in there somewhere?

Yes I know support for XP's officially ended but can't someone cut me a break and give me a bit of advice? Honestly can't afford a whole new computer and software right now. (It's my typing software, can't type, I talk into a microphone and the software types stuff for me.)

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Online rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast Scan gets stuck on 66% forever....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »
Chris,
Scan should not "stick" for 7 or 8 hours.
To enable others here to advise you, can I ask that you reply stating which type of scan you did when it got stuck at 66%. I can only guess it may be Full Scan.
Also whether Avast Free or paid and the version number. Latest version for XP is 18.8.2356.
May be necessary to repair or reinstall Avast.

Also see you have used Malwarebytes. That may sometimes clash with Avast. Although I have had no probems if MWB realtime protection is all turned off and is only used for on-demand scans then shut down.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Scan gets stuck on 66% forever....
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
Also see you have used Malwarebytes. That may sometimes clash with Avast. Although I have had no probems if MWB realtime protection is all turned off and is only used for on-demand scans then shut down.
Regarding Avast & Malwarebytes, see: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200324-exclusions-for-avast-users/
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0