Author Topic: do i have a virus or there is somthing wrong with Avast?!  (Read 5130 times)

bo3adsa

do i have a virus or there is somthing wrong with Avast?!
« on: January 11, 2004, 02:49:20 PM »
Hi all
Will I’m using Avast for a while and I’m happy with, but there is something I couldn’t understand   ???
After I scanned the PC I discovered that there were some viruses in it. But the strange thing is that it shows that the Avast itself is infected!!
Not just that, before Avast I was using the Panda Antivirus and I uninstall it before I install the Avast. In the REPORT it shows that the Panda (left over) file is infected too.
I did 3 different online scan just to make sure and it didn’t show any kind of infection on my PC!!

I don’t know is the Avast So sensitive or there is a viruses on my PC??

I also wander. What does the (unable to scan xxxx file name xxxx) means?

Thank you so much,,,,

PS:  I attached a Pic of the report

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:do i have a virus or there is somthing wrong with Avast?!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 02:51:28 PM »
You forgot to attach the screenshot... ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bo3adsa

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 03:28:59 PM »
sorry   ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 03:39:24 PM »
The files located in \Windows seem to be really infected (Trojans most likely) - what have you done with them? Moved to the Virus Chest? [that would be most appropriate].

The file in the avast folder is in fact in the Moved folder under avast. That means that previously, you had to move that file there (it's not one of avast files - it's just in the avast's Moved folder). You can delete or chest the file.

The System Volume Information files can be safely deleted. You can find more info about 'System Volume Information' viruses by doing a search on this forum

The Panda AV files are false positives - that's because the Panda guys don't encrypt properly their virus signatures >:( - avast is not the only antivirus detecting viruses in their files.

Finally, the WinZIP file cannot be unpacked (but was scanned in its entirety) because it is protected - this is just a warning, no need to worry about this one...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 07:15:54 PM »
welcome to the forum bo3adsa..  ;D
I see that you are an Arab, where are you from man?  ::)
I am an Egyptian   ;D ;D ;D ;D
MW

bo3adsa

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 09:10:44 PM »
Vlk
Thank you so much for clearing up this point,,,
Cuz. I had a very unpleasant experience with other well known antivirus but Aveast proved it's the best choice I ever made for my PC.
By the way, is there something I can do to prevent the (false positives) alarm in future??
I don’t know, it seems very confusing for an inexpert user to figure it out if this is a real virus or false positives when they get the alarm!!

minacross
hehehehehehe ,,,, you caught me man  :P
I’m from Kuwait.......; D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 11:08:09 PM »
Vlk
Thank you so much for clearing up this point,,,
Cuz. I had a very unpleasant experience with other well known antivirus but Aveast proved it's the best choice I ever made for my PC.
By the way, is there something I can do to prevent the (false positives) alarm in future??
I don’t know, it seems very confusing for an inexpert user to figure it out if this is a real virus or false positives when they get the alarm!!

bo3adsa, that particular ones will be difficult. Some 'false alarms' could be avoided by un-checking some report options (soft errors, for instance) because the files listed in the report will include some other clean encrypted files (like the ones of SpyBot).

Btw, did you clean your system (chest the real infected files according to Vlk)?
The best things in life are free.