Author Topic: Site Blocking (user added URLs) - NOT ACCEPTING URLs - ver 19.1.2360 (build 19.1  (Read 4498 times)

Offline gearedsteam

The WebSite Blocking Feature will not allow the saving of ANY websites added to this list.   This seems to be a BUG.

I have the "Enable Site Blocking" feature checked/enabled!   When I attempt to add any URL, the URL is displayed after keying it in, but is not saved when I press  key Enter Key, or click "Close" on the window then go back to same page to see if it is retained.

The location of this feature within Avast is: MENU / SETTINGS / PROTECTION / CORE SHIELDS / WEB SHIELD/ ENABLE SITE BLOCKING / SHOW BLOCKED WEBSITES

I have ALL the "enable" "check boxes" checked on this feature's (Enable Site Blocking) group page (Web Shield).

Also,  I've been using this very feature extensively for 5+ years with out such an issue.   When I upgraded to this current version, ALL of the accumulated URLs I had added WERE LOST and NOT brought forward in this release.  In other words, on the current release, when I access the Web Shield group page and click on "Show Blocked Websites", NO URLs are listed.. not those I had from before the upgrade, nor any of those I attempt to add with the upgrade. It may be a rarely used feature, BUT, for me IT IS VERY IMPORTANT as I block what I consider (Avast may not) malicious unwanted automatic redirects to other URLs from a desired URL.

Using:
Avast Free 19.1.2360 (build 19.1.4142.0)
Windows 7 SP1
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:40:09 PM by gearedsteam »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Have you saved a copy of your Avast Settings, which can include blocked site settings?
Have you tried a restoring settings (if saved)?

Offline gearedsteam

To: Asyn

I followed the repair steps you outlined.  After Avast completed the repair, it requested that I reboot.  After the reboot, I went to the aforementioned "Site Blocking" option.   No URLs were present.  I then entered 2 separate URLs via two line entries.  While entering the 2nd URL, the 1st was displayed in the line below.  I then entered the 2nd URL, pressed the Enter key.  Then clicked "Close".   Once the screen closed, I clicked the option to view the URLs blocked list.  The resulting screen was empty and did not contain the URLs just entered above.

Are you able to enter URLs, save them, exit the URL entry screen, then return to view the URLs you just entered on a PC running this same version of Avast?

=====================================================================
To:rocksteady

I did a restore of my Avast settings previously saved.  Then rebooted my PC.  Accessed the Site Blocking feature.  No URLs were listed from previous inputting.   Then I added an URL to the list to block.  Pressed the Enter key, clicked Close, then returned to the View URLs Blocked list, and the URL I just entered was there, nor were any other URLs

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Are you able to enter URLs, save them, exit the URL entry screen, then return to view the URLs you just entered on a PC running this same version of Avast?
Hi, just tested it, works for me.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline gearedsteam

Thank you for trying it on your end.    I'm finding that this version of Avast IS using my former list of URL sites I want to block,  I'm receiving the Site Successfully Blocked tabs in my browser when those sites attempt to redirect me to their site.   Since I had maybe over 40 + URL in my list from the last version of Avast,  I'm thinking there may be an issue with "list of sites blocked" size or number of URLs this new version can hold.

Is there a way I can export the list to a file and manually edit and reduce the number of URLs to a much smaller number, then import the edited file?

OR, a way I can start from scratch and import a "dummy" URL file with ZERO or maybe 1 URL entry already in the dummy file... so I can determine if there is a file size or URL quantity limit?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
40 URLs shouldn't be an issue, I'd suggest to try a clean reinstall.

1. Download Avast Free Antivirus: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.

Offline gearedsteam

The Removal & Clean Reinstall procedures RESOLVED THIS ISSUE. 

Now able to add URLs to Site Blocking and have them saved.

THANK YOU a BUNCH ! !  !  ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
You're welcome.