Author Topic: Avast SecureLine VPN Firewall Profile  (Read 2264 times)

Offline RailroadT

Avast SecureLine VPN Firewall Profile
« on: January 10, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »
I have Avast Premier Internet Security installed, including the SecureLine VPN.  I am not clear on whether the VPN connection should be set to Public or Private in the Firewall Profile -- I may have changed it inadvertently to Public.  I am having intermittent problems with not being able to connect or having a very slow connection to the Internet with certain programs and protocols.  Also, the VPN disconnects and reconnects at times, as well.  Thanks for any help.  :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast SecureLine VPN Firewall Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »
Default setting for Avast SecureLine is 'Public' whilst your trusted home network should be 'Private'.

See Pondus's reply here about Private and Public settings:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=224130.msg1488167#msg1488167

Your connectivity depends on many factors when using Avast SecureLine:
  • Your actual location
  • What programs or protocols you are trying to run
  • What ASL servers you are using
  • Your ISP and service provided
  • Some ISP services are better than others
Do you have the same issues when not using ASL?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline RailroadT

Re: Avast SecureLine VPN Firewall Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:25 AM »
Default setting for Avast SecureLine is 'Public' whilst your trusted home network should be 'Private'.

See Pondus's reply here about Private and Public settings:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=224130.msg1488167#msg1488167

Your connectivity depends on many factors when using Avast SecureLine:
  • Your actual location
  • What programs or protocols you are trying to run
  • What ASL servers you are using
  • Your ISP and service provided
  • Some ISP services are better than others
Do you have the same issues when not using ASL?

Hi mchain,

Thanks for your timely reply.  I should have given some background on this.  I am currently using Avast VPN when connected to a home network.  This is due to security issues that have arisen in the past, as well as a current vulnerability, with the modem/router firmware.  To be more precise, the particular computer that I am having the problem with is bridged via Ethernet to the wireless home network.  The programs I have particularly noticed with the most problems with are MS Office components (e.g. Outlook, Excel and Word).  I am currently using the Optimal Location in ASL (at first I thought you were referring to an asynchronous subscriber line  ;D ).  My ISP is Bell Canada and the service is optic fiber to the node and DSL from there.  I have found that when I turn off the VPN things work as they should.

I do have another computer connected directly via WiFi to the home network, but alas it is in need of at least a partial rebuild.  My tablet is working fine with the Avast VPN turned on.

Any further thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.