Author Topic: Considering Avast subscription - can't see why "unable to scan" many files  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Christopher350

Hi -

I'm having some ongoing performance problems with my 2017 iMac (64GB RAM, and the CPU never pegs despite constant beachballs). When I ran the scan against just the Applications folder, I had 14 files that could not be scanned; however, there was no option to right-click or otherwise access the names of those files.

Any suggestions on how to see this information?

Thanks -
Christopher

Offline Christopher350

Scratch that - I figured out how to see the files and reasons (it should be more obvious than right-clicking in the white space gang)...

In any case, the reasons include:
  • Error 42120 ARJ archive is corrupted on pngs in XCode's app
  • Error 42110 the file is a decompression bomb on the Mojave installer
  • Error 42057 compressed file is to big to be processed on the InstallESD.dmg inside Mpjave's installer
Does this sound logical to you? Is there something I should be worried about or are these normal errors I should disregard?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Christopher

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Error 42120 ARJ archive is corrupted on pngs in XCode's app
probably a archive avast can not unpack and scan

Error 42110 the file is a decompression bomb on the Mojave installer
Error 42057 compressed file is to big to be processed on the InstallESD.dmg inside Mpjave's installer
Archive that unpack to a big file so avast scan engine will not unpack and scan

Does not mean they are infected
https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/28/how-do-i-handle-files-that-avast-cant-scan/

also see:
avast team reply from @ondrej.kolacek  >>  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=222793.msg1482054#msg1482054

just ignore the ignored files. In the new GUI we are working on, these won't even be displayed. You can not do anything regarding them. This is a case of "we know something about some files, lets show it". I guess the insane way how to display them shows how much we want people to view them. Maybe originally it may have been for our internal information (for testing etc.), but since there is the counter of ignored files visible, people started to ask us about them, and we have publicised it (the person who did the decision no longer works here so we do not know :) ).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:12:21 AM by Pondus »