Author Topic: aswMBR not using Avast engine anymore  (Read 1606 times)

Offline RickCanuck

aswMBR not using Avast engine anymore
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »
Hello guys,

long term user, never posted here (I think). Long story short: I usually run aswmbr once in a while just to make sure there is nothing unusual at the rootkit level in my system. It used to detect my Avast install and use the engine and latest definitions accordingly. Today I changed my CMOS battery (was dead), and after that, decided to run the tool as I haven't ran it for a while. It now behaves as it does not see the Avast installation, and always asks for a download of the definitions (which, when doing it, stays always at 17030301...

Any idea why this is happening? I repaired Avast just in case, but still the same issue. I would like to still have the possibility of running aswmbr once in a while, for peace of mind.

Any hints are welcome.

Windows 7 SP 1 up to date
Avast Free latest version, up to date
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:33:20 AM by RickCanuck »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: aswMBR not using Avast engine anymore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:00:21 AM »
I usually run aswmbr once in a while just to make sure there is nothing unusual at the rootkit level in my system.
avast is running a rootkit scan 8min after bootup

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:17:31 AM »
I usually run aswmbr once in a while just to make sure there is nothing unusual at the rootkit level in my system.
Yes, the technology is included in the AV (for years) now.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RickCanuck

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
Yes, the technology is included in the AV (for years) now.

Good to know, I read about that but was not sure if it was the same, or better, than running aswMBR with some frequency.

Bottom line, we have the same (or better) scanning capability now from within Avast AV (free) than we had with aswMBR, correct?

Out of curiosity: any reason why aswMBR would suddenly not detect the Avast installation anymore? Now that I remember, the last time I ran it normally was before the latest engine update of early January... could that update be the one that rendered aswMBR "obsolete"?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:28:17 AM »
Bottom line, we have the same (or better) scanning capability now from within Avast AV (free) than we had with aswMBR, correct?
Correct.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0